IV | CHAPTER 34: Don't get any blood on the carpet,

it's easier cleaning the tiles | IV 

It's afternoon when you, barely awake and only not asleep because of the alcohol you consumed earlier, leave Philza's office where you'd been working ever since the flames consumed your previous stay. You can barely think clearly, thanks to the stress and medicines, and are massaging your temple in the hopes to ease the headache.

You'd think that a job as president would be less stressful, since you're the absolute leader and simply have to tell people to do things for you. You'd been writing, reading, analysing, sending orders, and simply trying everything you could to hold the City together and to prevent the Desert from meeting a similar fate, but it's a lot more challenging than anyone would think. Though, you're not surprised. Schlatt warned you for this after all.

"Leading the City is more than just holding speeches and shaking hands. Subordinates tend to be terrible to work together with, because they ignore you or lie to you, and you have to reassure that everything happens as it should and in the time that it should. You can't just do this job. You have to do it well. One slip up, and everyone will see. One mistake, and you'll risk losing the trust of the citizens if you're not good at redeeming yourself. And you cannot lead a City when the citizens do not trust you, Y/N. They'll probably be my downfall, after all."

And he was right about it all. Connor and HBomb always did what they should, but there were enough subordinates who had either no idea what they were doing, refused to tell you, or ignored you and your orders. You don't like using threats to get what you want, but it seems like with some people, you can't do anything else.

George not doing what you want, however, pisses you off the most. He's stopped doing his work, hasn't called his colleagues in the Deserts ever since your outlash at him and does his best to ignore your orders. You've done your best to deal with it, but it's started getting harder and harder since you're slowly losing your patience with him. He's becoming more and more intolerant.

But well, Aimsey also seems to have her rebellious phase now. Although she does what's necessary, you've noticed that she's become more... sloppy. Most of the time she's thinking about something entirely else, or forgetting to remind you to take your meds, or just in general refusing to do certain things. And as much as you fully support her in her decision to grow more independent and be the rebellious teenager you once were, you wish that it wouldn't lead to your own worsening health and, even more specifically, that it wouldn't involve a certain other android.

You know that your dependency on her is unhealthy and you're always trying to make sure to still be the parent, but with your decreasing memory, you tend to forget entirely about your medication, which only leads to your own mental state declining, which then again leads to a grumpier and more aggressive version of you, even sometimes towards those you are closest to.

As you enter the living room, you quickly find Aimsey and Dream sitting on the couch, talking about stuff that you can't hear. Their voices sound muffled, as if they're very much in the background, but when you see that Dream notices your staring, he straightens his back slightly and just stares back at you. Aimsey notices his change in behaviour and looks in your direction now as well, seeing your poor state as she scans you silently, either trying to discover what you want or checking for any physical problems.

You drink a bit of your medication, mixed with some merlot, before approaching the two androids. Today it happens, and everybody's busy outside. However, it's your daughter with your first-ever arch nemesis who are still here, unaware of what may happen any moment. You want to start a conversation. You've barely spoken to your child ever since you started drowning yourself with your work here and meeting up with Bad, which she should still be unaware of. However, you already notice that she doesn't feel that comfortable with it.