EPILOGUE

Sand. You feel sand. It's on your face, between your fingers, covering your clothes. You're lying in sand.

When you find the ability to open your eyes again, you try to lift yourself up, allowing your hands to rest in the sandy surface below you as you quickly vomit all over it. Thankfully, the puke misses your skin, but it's still disgusting as the smell quickly makes you feel even sicker than you were before.

You have no memory of what happened after you entered the portal. All that you remember, is the smell of fire and the taste of iron. And of course, the explosion. For a moment, you're pretty sure you thought you were going to die, along with the corpses you believed you saw. If that's what even happened, at least. You're not even sure anymore. Was that really what happened? Is it not some twisted memory that the machine added to your mind as you went through? You wish you could say, but you doubt that it would change anything.

You're here now, that's what matters.

Except, where are you?

Still disoriented, you stand up right and can almost feel yourself sinking into the sand, despite that never happening. Whether it's the illness or the consequences messing up your sense of balance, you can't tell, but you're pretty sure you're going to fall if you don't watch out.

You still have everything. Tommy's script, Schlatt's photo, a gun. And all of that in the bag that you feared you'd lose, for a reason beyond your understanding. In any case, as you look around, you quickly find yourself admiring the clear blue of the sky and, quickly enough, find an oddly familiar bridge. With your knee hurting like crazy, you limp towards it, being filled with pure surprise as you see water flowing under it. The Devil's Bridge is perhaps not as abandoned as it once were, and you approach the edge to look down on the river below. You laugh.

"I'm somewhere," you then breathe, wondering what happened. Did you time travel? Did you travel through universes? Or are you simply dreaming this, while about to die? Or perhaps, you've arrived Heaven, and will finally be able to live in peace.

You want to scream out your happiness. Tears start rolling down your face as it takes the blood with it. And well, for a short time, you actually let it out. An excited yelp, as you fall on the ground and lean against the low wall to below.

"I did it," you sob, "I finally did it. God, I did it. I escaped." You can dance and sing and nobody would care. You're no President anymore. You're just yourself. You're you, and for once, nothing can stop that. "Oh my God, I did it," you end your gratitude as you wipe away the tears, before energetically jumping up and looking at the City, which is beautiful again. You don't know who to thank. Is it some guy above? Is it Schlatt, for introducing you to the secrets of the Crystals? Or perhaps, it's to your daughter, who helped you throughout.

Or maybe, just maybe, you're responsible for this. Maybe it's you who you can thank.

Like a small child, you run into the streets, going through much richer suburbs, only to enter a way more modern centre after a while. Happily, you go into shops and see what there is. There's wonder in your eye and anyone would mistake you for a madman, but at this moment, there's nobody who can stop you, not even your own cursed mind.

With very little care, you walk through the familiar streets for hours, ignoring the exhaustion that comes with it. There's so much happiness inside. So much to do, so much to say, but there's nobody to speak to or spend time with yet. That is, until you pass some of the most expensive houses in the entire City, not too far away from the DeMeter building. With the sun going under behind, you turn around and keep walking backwards, watching as the colours magnificently colour the skies with much magic. You have no idea what to do now: you're technically homeless, after all. But it seems like the apparent warmth that you're certain comes off from the heating sun, is enough to calm you down.

That is, until you bump into somebody.

Neither of you fall, but you still almost get a heart attack as you let out a small scream and turn around, just like the other person does. Right away, you recognize both her and her companion.

She's as beautiful as the day you met her. Her red hair waves in the wind as the emerald through which she looks at you, shine in the descending sunlight. She's a bit chubbier than you can imagine her to be, although she's not any less pale than the woman who returned to you after much of radio silence. You mouth her name and while her face was filled with confusion at first, it's almost as if she remembers all the good times you spent with her immediately once she can read your lips speaking the letters.

"It's really you," you breathe, after which you immediately give her a hug, overflown with happiness. She embraces you back, and despite your lack of knowledge as to what she does know about you and your situation, you're certain that everything will finally go your way now. That is, until her son looks at her with even more confusion, seemingly not remembering anything.

"Uh, Sally? Who is this?"

_____

I'm currently working on the prologue of the last part of this trilogy, so don't unsubscribe yet! When it's finished and published, I'll post an A/N in which I'll say that it's been published (and put a link if I remember). Also, as a thank you to the reader, ask some questions and I'll answer them in a Q&A in that same A/N! You can just comment them (: