V | CHAPTER 38: Who needs a Y with this many X's | V

You're sitting in the place you've considered to be your office, your mind clouded by a mix of distraction and desperation. Yesterday, Bad made the final decision. He chose the date for it all to happen. An attack in disguise, pretending to be a peaceful confrontation before Hell breaks loose. The Red Banquet.

Unlike all the others, you already knew when it'd come and you already know what you're wearing. Most want to look neat for this event. You're pretty sure that Techno is the only one to suspect it as well, alongside Quackity who's already paid Purpled to come with them, in case something goes wrong, but other than them, everyone considers it to be an actual gathering so that they can come to a solution. Because of her close friendship with Bad, you asked Puffy to come as well, meaning that Eret tags along too, but you wonder how much it'll actually matter. After all, while it may be a next step for them, it's the final one for you. Once you've cut the Crystal out of its skin, it'll be yours, and you'll have won.

It's a comforting thought. Your nights terrors will be just that. No threat in real life anymore. Not having to fear your own safety. You'll be free. Freed from this curse that is your existence. You'll start anew. And this time, without any creepy stalkers constantly being on your tail, begging for you to return their love.

Having been visited by George occasionally today, thanks to his desire to actually reconnect with you, despite the horrible thing he agreed to, you're rather bitter at this moment. Now, you've been like this not only today, but especially now, you're not exactly looking forward to some fun conversation with some asshole. So, when a knock on your door interrupts your thoughts, you don't exactly react happily, instead letting out an audible sigh as you ask for the visitor to come in.

"Hey, Y/N," the unexpected visitor says with a sweet smile, the scent of baked cookies following her way as she holds a plate with something sweeter to eat. "How have you been doing?"

At the moment, Niki doesn't seem to be one of them. You know she is, or at least, once was, but nothing about her suggests that she may be there with any ill intent. She approaches you carefully and holds out the plate, an invitation for you to take one and eat as well, but you can't bring yourself to. What if it's poisoned, after all? You know it's a mere thought of paranoia, but you can never be too careful, especially not now.

"I'm not hungry, Niki," you mumble, only for her face to fall to disappointment. She sighs as she sits in front of you, making you look at her with annoyance. "What do you want, Niki?"

"What are you doing?"

"Niki, what do you want? If you're not here for any reason, then go." She bites on the inside of her lip as she starts fidgeting, obviously nervous about what it is, if there is anything to begin with.

"I saw what you'd done to those three that fucked up. I'm sure they thought they were some kind of a 'Dream Team', no pun intended. Who would've thought George would give away the truth so easily, though, huh? Guess you were lucky after all." You stare at her firmly and strictly. If that's all she says to say, then there's nothing keeping her here. "Y/N, I wanted to ask you something."

Here it comes, whatever that may be.

"Remember back on the roof, when you chose Sally and afterwards jumped off, seemingly killing yourself only for you to return like... this?" You raise your eyebrow at the way she speaks the last word, but decide against interrogating her on what she means by that. Instead, you answer.

"How can I forget? It was a traumatic experience."

"For the both of us," she laughs, while your face doesn't do as much as shift to a more relaxed state. "In any case, I was wondering... If you look back at it now and let's just act as if you had no way to kill yourself; you have to choose somebody... Who would you pick?"