V | CHAPTER 42: You tore humanity apart

with the very same machines that could've been our brand new start | V

Everybody's already present and ready to start. Bad is staring into his red wine purposelessly, still awaiting your presence. You're the only one – that matters to him, at least – that needs to arrive. Is there something with your secret army that still needs to be prepared? After all, in the giant room, that's covered with the red meat of Sanctus Ovum, he has seen nobody who he doesn't recognize yet, so at this moment, this is the only thing he chooses to believe. The only thing he really dares to believe.

Techno knows where the men are, though. You told him. You told him exactly what was meant to happen. At the moment that Bad threatened to harm any of them, you'd give the sign for the soldiers to enter the room and hold their weapons in their direction. They'd be staying on the side the entire time, however, only shooting whoever would dare to attack you – if you gave them the sign to, that is – but otherwise staying in silence by the side, watching the event happen. Techno didn't know, though. And neither did Bad.

In any case, everybody's already talking. Most of them are very restless, obviously nervous for what's about to come, including the members of the good side. And honestly, Bad can't deny his own nerves. He's unsure where it comes from. Maybe it's the Egg? Does it know what's coming? None of his friends do, that's for sure.

Bad lets out a deep sigh as he keeps his eyes on the doors in the distance. Everybody's ready to start, but the seat of the President must have someone on it. There's no way the Red Banquet can be held without you. The long table at which everybody's sitting, with Bad at the head, and the Egg behind him, doesn't seem to be doing any good for anybody. After all, they all know that they're feasting with the enemy. Sam and Ponk feel uncomfortable around each other, despite the Egg's previous positive influence on the doctor, while Dream and Punz seem to be having a moment of duality in their friendship.

"Can't we just already start the damn thing?" Ant asks Bad in a hushes voice, likely being more than done with waiting. "I understand that the President is important, but we can already start without them, can we not?" But Bad shakes his head determinedly. You have to be here. You need to be here.

And he's willing to wait.

So, he waits. And thus, everybody else must wait too.

Time seems to continue ticking as Puffy is eventually the one to stand up, Eret standing next to her. "We were here for negotiating. I know that we're still hoping that Y/N will arrive, but we can't wait forever. They'll come in when it's needed." Once her words are spoken, Ant looks at Bad with the 'I told you so' eyes, but Bad refuses to. So, they wait another five minutes, until the doors to the room underground finally open to reveal you.

Before Bad has even seen you, he stands up and holds out his glass, ready to toast to you and the Eggpire, but once he opens his eyes, he can feel his heart skip a beat. And not for the usual reason. He can't tell whether it's shock, surprise, fear or admiration. But he knows that he could've never expected the sight he there found. And well, he's not the only one in this state. The only one looking at you with fascination now is Ponk, and he's probably just interested in the symptoms of the illness that cover your entire arm. Niki stands up once she sees you, confusion in her eyes. But you don't react to her, nor to any of the silent people surrounding you. Instead, you just walk to the chair and sit down. Folding your hands under your chin, you squeeze your eye at Bad, signing that he can start. So, he does.

It all starts with a speech. A speech to welcome all to the Red Banquet: nobody would think anything, surely. And even if they did, there was nowhere they could go. "And lastly, thank all of you for respecting the dress code. Well, besides Technoblade, of course, but he's never been one to follow rules, right, Techno? Sure, you may be a changed man, but you still hurt many families." Bad watches as Techno's face shifts into that of confusion.