Volume 2: Chapter 2 Part 3

==========================================================

Part 3

"Kiyotaka. Is there anything you really want? Like something you saw in the shops in Keyaki Mall that made you feel like you really wanted to buy it but you couldn't at that moment?"

After school, on the way back to the second year dorms, Kei asked this question to Kiyotaka. Feeling a little bit overwhelmed by the question, Kiyotaka only turned to her with raised eyebrows.

"I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. Where is this coming from?"

"Eh? Kiyotaka. Don't tell me you've forgotten!" Kei exclaimed in shock, beyond what Kiyotaka was thinking.

Kiyotaka himself was confused as to why Kei was like this. There shouldn't be a reason, at least to his knowledge. He was pretty sure he didn't forget anything. So why was she acting like this and asking a question like that?

"Forgotten what?"

Kei was silent for a few moments before sighing in defeat.

"Kiyotaka... Your birthday is in just a couple of days! October 20th!"

At that point, Kiyotaka's eyes opened so wide that if it weren't for the fact that "wide" for him was nearly "normal" for everyone else's eyes.

It was true that Kiyotaka's birthday was approaching fast. Kiyotaka had honestly forgotten about it because his birthdays had always been the same - just a regular old day. Things were a tiny bit different last year when Kei messaged him with a "happy birthday", and before last year, it was Matsuo who wished him one and gave him a present - that being the ability to be free from his father and attend ANHS.

But those days were still just normal days for Kiyotaka. Matsuo, Shizuku and Kei were the only three people in his life that wished him happy birthdays. He did not have any others who did the same, even if the Ayanokouji Group started around the time when his birthday was going by. And at the same time, Kiyotaka didn't have anyone he specially cared for, meaning he couldn't really feel extremely happy from having been wished a happy birthday and given a gift from someone.

This year was going to be different though. Kei was now his girlfriend and he really cared about her. Kei remembered his birthday all too well and was now asking what he wanted as a gift. If anything, with the way Kei was, it wouldn't be surprising if she was planning a birthday party either.

"Ah... I did forget..."

Kei sighed in defeat, however she didn't hide her frowning expression as she replied.

"Kiyotaka. I know you've been through a lot before coming to this school. You told me quite a lot. But even still, you shouldn't forget your own birthday. It's the only day that makes you feel special, makes you want to be yourself and makes you want to be happy. Even when I was bullied heavily before coming here, the only two days I looked forward to were my birthday and Christmas. So it should be the same with you. Or at least now, you have me. You have Yousuke-kun. Maya-chan. Nene-chan. Hasebe-san. Miyake-kun. And everyone else you've befriended. So everyday should now feel like a great day for you too, even if we sometimes lose things and have to deal with others. That's what you also taught me."