The second ceremony

August 1, 192X

Two 5-year-old boys, one with dark red hair and one with black hair, sit with their eyes closed next to a 5-year-old girl sitting on their grandmother's lap, with her eyes closed, seemingly waiting for a surprise. "Abre Los Ojos," the grandmother said. However one of the boys still kept his eyes closed. The grandmother tries again, "Open your eyes." Finally, Javier Madrigal opens his eyes and his face brightens with happiness along with his siblings Ignácio and Angelina. As they look at Abuela's magical candle.

The girl then looks back at Abuela and asks, "Is this where our magic comes from?" Abuela nods her head and begins, "This candle holds the miracle given to our family," Javier, who is extremely invested in the magic, wants to know even more about it, "How did we get a miracle?" he wishes to learn its history.

Abuela then pulls them closer into a hug with one of her arms and begins the story. "Long ago, when my three babies had just been born, your Abuelo Pedro and I were forced to flee our home," Abuela knew that the next part would be too dark for little ones to hear, so she decided to keep it simple for them. "And though many had joined us, hoping to find a new home... We could not escape the dangers... and your Abuelo, was lost," she said with a saddened voice.

Then, she pushed her sad feelings to the side to finish the story, "But in our darkest moments," she said with a little bit of pride rising in it, "We were given, a miracle," The triplets' faces lightened up even more with a rush of excitement.

"The candle became a magical flame that could never go out, and it blessed us with a refuge in which to live, a place of wonder," She was then about to say the name of their village that is surrounded by tall mountains, but Angelina beats her to it, "An Encantó!" Abuela looks down at her nieta and nods, "Sí, an Encantó, correct," She laughs.

With that out the way, she continues her story, "The miracle grew, and our house, our casita itself, came alive to shelter us. Then, when my children came of age, the miracle blessed each one with a magical gift to help us, and now with all of you of age-" She was cut off by Ignácio attempting to fill in the blank, "We get magic too!" Abuela nods, "That's right, and together our family's gifts will continue to make our home, a paradise," As she finishes her story, she turns her head towards them, "Tonight, this candle will give you your gifts, mí vidas. Strengthen our community, strengthen our home, and make your family proud," she said.

The triplets' faces filled with determination as they stated together, "Make our family proud."

Outside the window, a firework goes off during the party that is happening. Casita uses its floorboards to knock a clock in front of them, showing that it is time for the triplets to get their gifts. "Yes, yes Casita we're going," Abuela chuckled. Javier and Ignácio jumped off the bed, while their sister flew off of Abuela's lap. Casita moves their slippers in front of them to slip on. Once they've done that, they help Abuela off Angelina's bed so they can walk toward the ceremony.

Javier excitedly asks, "What do you think my gift will be?" She then bends down to their level and simply states, "You are a wonder, Javier Madrigal," she cups his head, and then turns to his hermano, "Ignácio, you are so full of life," she rubs his nose, and looks to her third grandchild, "and Angelina, our sweet ángel. Whatever gift awaits, will be just as special as you, all of you," They then walk off to the triplet's new doors.

Once outside, the curtains pull back, revealing the triplets holding hands excitement brightly shown on their faces. They are then met with most of the townsfolk and some of their family in the courtyard, with a staircase leading up to their glowing doors with their parents and Abuela next to it. They slowly marched towards their new doors with everyone's attention focused on them, making them a bit nervous, holding their hands tighter.

Once they reach the top of the staircase, Abuela then gives a little speech to them to give their vows to help the community with their gifts. One by one each of them touches the candle as they are excited for the biggest event of the night. The triplets face their doors, to open them. (Pause) Glancing at their Papá beaming at them and understanding their doubts, "No matter what you get you'll always be our miracles," he assured and their mother nodded her head in agreement encouraging them further. When they were ready, the triplets wiped their nervous sweat from their hands and then placed their hands on their doorknobs.