Meet the rest

Mateó's P.O.V.

A stamp is slammed on a paper, showing the word 'denied'. "Denied? You're denying my claim," Mrs. Hogenson says sadly. Mateó, now 29 years old, lives in San Angel and is working at an insurance company called 'Insuricare'. Since special ops (supers) were banned from society years ago, he's had trouble trying to fit in with normal society.

"I-I don't understand, I have full coverage," Mrs. Hogenson begs for her claim to be accepted. "I'm sorry Mrs. Hogenson, but our liability is spelled out in paragraph 17, it states clearly," he says sadly. "But, I can't pay for this-" she is cut off by Mateó's cell phone ringing. "Excuse me," (to the phone) "Hey honey, are you okay?" he asks calmly with a hint of worry, "Fine. I have news, they're here!" Angie happily exclaims referring to their recent guests. "That's great, and you had to call cause-" Angie cuts him off, "because, you finally get to meet my father and Miguel is back, oh and we need some leche," she explained.

"that's good. Oh honey, I have a client right here," he says. "Alright say no more, I'll leave you be, see you tonight," she says.

"Bye, honey." he hung up "I'm sorry, where were we?" he asks. Mrs. Hogenson is in tears, using a tissue she took from Mateo's tissue box, "I'm on a fixed income, and if you can't help me, I don't know what I'll do." As she blows into the tissue, Mateó looks at her sadly since he wants to help her, but the company won't let him. He then thinks about how he helped his past clients by finding legal loopholes, to which he then comes up with an idea for her. Quickly, he takes a look outside his cubicle office and pokes his head out from the top to make sure his boss Mr. Huph isn't around.

He grabs a pen and a notebook and hands them to her, and starts whispering to her, "Alright listen closely, I'd like to help you, but I can't. I'd like to tell you to take a copy of your policy to Norma Wilcox on-" He notices that she's not getting his plan, so he taps on the notebook as a way to signal her that he's helping her. "Norma Wilcox. W-I-L-C-O-X. On the third floor, but I can't," he whispers. She then notices that he's trying to help her, and begins writing down what he's saying in the notebook. "I also do not advise that you fill out and file a WS2475 with our legal department on the second floor. I will not expect someone to get back to you quickly to resolve the matter. I'd like to help, but there's nothing I can do," he says, happily standing up.

"Oh thank you so much yo-" she is then cut off by Mateó shushing her. Mateó moves on to the next phase of his plan to help her. He sticks his head out of the top of his office, "I'm sorry ma'am, I know you're upset," he shouts, then goes back down to her level. "Pretend to be upset," he whispers while nodding his head to the side to signal her to go. Mrs. Hogenson then leaves, pretending to cry while Mateó smiles at her.

As she is walking down the hall, Mateo's boss, Mr. Huph, skips past her in an angry mood and marches into Mateó's office. "Mateo!" he shouts. Mateó gets startled and stands up fast, knocking some things down on his desk. "You authorized payment on the Walker policy?!" he furiously says as he throws papers onto his desk. Mateó then fixes his desk and argues back, "Someone broke into their house Mr. Huph, their policy covers..."

"I-I don't want to know about their coverage Mateó, don't tell me about their coverage. Tell me how you're keeping Insuricare in the black. Tell me how that's possible with you writing checks to every Harry Hardluck and Sally Sobstory, THAT GIVES YOU A PHONE CALL!" he exclaims. Mateó attempts to reason but is then cut off, "But-"

"No buts Mateo, OR YOU'RE FIRED!" he shouts before leaving his office.

Mateó stands there in shock as if a knife just went through his heart. He sits back down in sadness and notices the argument attracted a lot of people from the office. "What are you looking at?" he angrily asks. Everyone then goes back to their job. A man walks by Mateó's office, shaking his head, "Man, what happened to the soldier that beat the odds?" Mateo lets out a sad sigh, "That guy retired George."