Chapter 2- Before Tragedy Struck

(18 Years Old)

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday my dear Ellie, Happy Birthday to you!" Estelle sings as she walks into Brielle's room carrying a stack of strawberry and banana pancakes with a lit candle.

"Awe, my favorite. Thank you Momma," Brielle says as she sits up in bed.

"Make a wish and blow out the candle my little Ellie."

Brielle leans over and blows out the candle as she hugs her mother.

"Where's Dad?" Brielle asks as she now realizes her father isn't present.

"He's in his office going over some important documents," Estelle says warily.

"He's going over that stupid prophecy again isn't he?" Brielle asks with a roll of her eyes, already knowing the answer.

"Ellie, you know your father is only doing this to keep you safe. It's too dangerous for you out there still, at least until you turn 21," Estelle tries to get her daughter to understand.

"Whatever, he could at least take a break on my birthday."

"He'll be here soon Ellie," Estelle gives her a gentle smile.

"If you say so. I don't really care either way. I'm used to it."

Just as Estelle was going to reassure her, the sound of heavy footsteps pounding up the stairs stopped her. They both turned to the door just as Tyler walked through the door with the biggest smile ever that instantly cheered up Brielle.

"Happy Birthday Bri!" he said as he pulled her into a hug. Tyler Bennett, Brielle's longest friend and future Beta. 

"Thanks Ty," Brielle replied as she returned his hug.

"I'll leave you two alone. Tyler, I'm assuming you're staying for breakfast?" Estelle asked.

"Yes, if that's ok with you Luna," Tyler responded.

"Of course it's ok. And stop with the Luna nonsense mister! I've known you since you were in nappies, just call me Estelle or Elle."

"No can do Luna. I respect you too much to call you anything but your title."

"Hmm very well then. I guess I can deal with it and pretend that's the reason why and not because you're afraid of my mate," Estelle said with humor in her voice that turned into full out laughter as Tyler's cheeks reddened. 

Estelle got up with the stack of pancakes, letting them know breakfast is ready downstairs before heading out the door.

"Why were you sad before I walked in here?" Tyler asked.

"Just the same old with my Dad."

"Bri I know it's hard, but you have to understand that he's only doing it because he loves you and wants to keep you safe. We all do. Everyone in this pack loves you guys and would do anything to keep their future Alpha safe."

"I know, it just sucks."

"On the bright side, you're 18 now which means you get to meet your mate," Tyler stated, hoping to cheer her up.

"That's true, although I have a bad feeling about it."

"What Meeting your mate?"

"Yeah, but something else feels wrong. It could be nothing, but Freya has been restless since we woke up this morning."

"Hmm, well just try to stay calm and relax. It could just be the anticipation of meeting your mate," Tyler reassured.

"You may be right, thanks Ty. You're always a great help with keeping my emotions in check."