Chapter 6 - In Loving Memory

*Third Person POV*

It has been a week since the rouge attack. The pack has started their journey towards healing from the grief of the lives they've lost that day, including their Luna. A ceremony for the members of the pack that lost their lives that day was held 2 days ago. Today, the pack has once again gathered for another ceremony of death, this time for their fallen Luna.

"Alpha, the ceremony will begin soon," a pack member informed Brielle.

"Yes, thank you. I will be down in a minute," she responded.

The pack member bowed in respect as he took his leave. Brielle needed a minute to collect her thoughts before facing her pack. She was now going to be Alpha and would need to be brave in front of her pack, even if she was falling apart inside. She wiped the few stray tears as she placed back a picture frame that contained a picture of her parents and her shortly after her first shift. A memory that seemed so distant now, almost as if it had never happened. 

She shook away those thoughts along with any sad memories as she pulled herself together. After she managed to make herself presentable, she walked out of the Alpha's Office, down the stairs, and out the back door where a yard full of pack members awaited her arrival. She stopped in her tracks as her nerves started to act up once more. It wasn't the eyes of hundreds of pack members looking at her with expectations that made her nervous, although you'd think it should. But no it wasn't that as her father has prepared her for a time when she would need to take over and he did a damn good job, even though that time came too early. No, what made her stomach turn was the sight of the coffin that held her deceased mother.

Brielle could feel her heart pound hard against her rib cage. She could feel the sting in her eyes as they moistened, but before the dam could break, she felt a hand enclose over her shaking one. She glanced to her side to see Tyler smiling encouragingly towards her. He gave her hand a gentle squeeze as he walked her to the podium. Brielle thanked him before turning her full attention to her awaiting pack members.

"Hello everyone. I want to start of by thanking everyone who has joined me here today. I know most of you are still grieving the loss of your loved ones, so I appreciate you being here by my side as I too grieve for both their deaths as well as my mother's. There are so many things that could be said to describe my mother, Estelle Lightwood, but these are a few that really capture who she was. Estelle lightwood was caring, brave, dependable, gracious, strong and nurturing. She was not only my mother, she was a mother to every member in this pack," Brielle stated as tears streamed endlessly down her cheeks, failing miserably at trying to keep a brave face on.

"Even though it pains me to depart from her, I know this isn't a goodbye. We may not be able to see her physically, but I just know she'll always be around. She'll be in the leaves of the trees of our land, in the wind that caresses our fur on our runs, and most importantly in our hearts. Her love, along with everyone we've lost, will live on within this pack. Now, with a heavy heart, it is time," Brielle concludes as she steps off the stage and into Tyler's awaiting embrace.

"You did good," Tyler consoles as he tightens his hold. "Luna would be so proud of you and so will Alpha."

"Thank you, Ty. How is he doing?" Brielle asks.

"He's stable at the moment. Don't worry, he's in good hands. Everyone is working hard to make sure he gets better," Tyler assured her.

"I know and I appreciate everything everyone is doing, but that still doesn't make me worry less."

"I know, but at least try. Now come on, let's give a proper farewell to Luna," Tyler said as he gave her shoulders a firm squeeze as he guided them to the awaiting car that will be driving them to the pack cemetery. 

*At the cemetery*

Brielle and Tyler were the first ones to arrive. They stood near the freshly dug hole with the headstone reading, 'In Loving Memory of Estelle Lightwood. Beloved Mother, Wife & Luna. May you rest in peace in the Goddess' Realm.' They heard the hearse pull up, along with some pack members. Brielle wiped away her tears before turning to face everyone as a few men carried over her mother's coffin. Tyler securely wrapped his arm around Brielle's shoulders as an elder presided over the ceremony, and led them in prayers to the Goddess for their late Luna. 

Once the prayers were done, the elder asked for those who would like to share a few words to step up and do so now. A few pack member spoke of lovely memories they had once shared with their Luna. Once everyone has said their last goodbyes, the late Luna's coffin was lowered, and the men began to cover it back up with the soil. Everyone who attended placed a white rose on the grave as they began to head back home until it was only Brielle and Tyler left. 

Tyler laid his white rose down, touched two fingers to his lips and placed them on the headstone in a kiss. He placed a gentle hand on Brielle's shoulder in support and made his way back to the car. He knew Brielle needed time alone to say her goodbyes. 

Brielle just stood there, hearing Tyler's footsteps make it all the way to the car. She waited until she heard the closing of the car door before she fell to her knees and let the sobs rack through her body. She let out all her sorrow and frustration with each sob. She placed a tender kiss to the white rose before laying it down amongst the others. 

"May we meet again," Brielle whispered as she stared into the smiling face of her mother within the picture engraved into the headstone. Suddenly all her feelings of sorrow and anguish were swept away and replaced with vengeance and hatred. 

Kneeling there in front of her Mother's grave, Brielle made a promise to both her mother and herself. She vowed to avenge her mother's death along with every pack member that lost their lives in that rogue attack. She vowed to reek havoc on every rogue who dared cross her path and enter her pack lands. Brielle placed one last kiss on her mother's headstone. She stood up, dusted off the dirt from her clothing and wiped any trace of tears from her face as this would be the last time Brielle Lightwood shed a tear. 

On this day, the new stone cold version of Brielle Lightwood was born. No one will ever catch her by surprise again, nor will they make her pack fall. The Blood Alpha has been awaken.