Chapter 5 - Facing the Truth

*Third Person POV*
(After the doctor delivered the news)

Brielle stood frozen with Tyler's arms wrapped securely around her. She couldn't bring herself to return the embrace as her mind replayed what the doctor said. She couldn't understand how this had happened. She suddenly remembered the doctor never mentioned where her mother was. With this realization in mind, she pulled away from Tyler abruptly shoving him with more force then necessary.

Brielle shifted in a blink of an eye and ran straight through the automatic glass doors of the hospital. A few shards of glass grazed her fur, but she didn't bother with the pain as she pumped her legs to run faster into the forest. Pack members moved out of the way barely escaping being trampled by the tormented Alpha wolf as she ran past them. The scent of her mother's blood grew stronger causing both Brielle and Freya to whimper and run faster in the scent's direction. Upon arrival, Brielle noticed where she assumed her mother's body had been, if the puddle of blood was any indication. 

It appeared Estelle had been staked to the bark of a tree and stabbed in the abdomen according to the indentation on the wood of the tree. The blood has since dried in streaks running down the bark to form a puddle on the once green grass below. Images of her mother's tortured death brought another round of tears to run mercilessly down her face as the pain in her shattering heart intensified. Freya tried to bring comfort to her human but she too was suffering the loss of her mother Celine. The pain was too much for both human and wolf to bear as they let out an ear piercing howl full of grief as it rung throughout the forest, reaching those in the pack. 

Brielle heard her pack members howls as they too grieved along with her. She laid there on the red stained grass in her wolf form as she took a moment to grasp the death of her beloved mother. Even as she witnessed and smelled the blood of her late mother, Brielle's mind was still reeling with the possibility that her mother was still alive and this was all but a horrid nightmare. The snapping of a twig behind her made Brielle jump up in a defensive position baring her teeth ready for blood. Slowly, a slightly scared and sad Tyler walked out from behind a tree with his hands up in surrender. 

"Hey, it's just me," Tyler announced cautiously. 

Brielle stopped her growling once she noticed it was only Tyler, but she couldn't help the disappointment she felt. She was hoping to come across a lingering rogue who she can take her anger and sorrow out on and watch as they slowly bleed out, just as they had done with her mother. Tyler noticed this but decided not to question it as it wasn't the right moment.

"I have been looking for you. You had me worried," Tyler voiced.

'Where is she,' Brielle linked.

"They have her down at the hospital's morgue. They are prepping her for the burial," Tyler answered.

'She was at the hospital this whole time and no one thought of informing me!' Brielle growled out as Freya fought to come out.

"Brielle calm down. The doctor thought it best for me to inform you after he gave you the bad news. I was going to tell you but then you broke down and then ran off," Tyler tried to explain while trying not to get her angrier.

'Take me to her. Now.'

"Of course, but maybe you should shift back and change first," Tyler timidly suggested.

'Meet me outside the pack house. I will change at my room there,' Brielle instructed before taking off.

Brielle took a quick shower and throw on a pair of sweats and a hoodie along with her running shoes. She ran out of her room and out the front door where a freshly showered Tyler was already waiting for her. Brielle didn't even bother greeting him as she began walking ahead of him in the direction of the hospital. Tyler soon fell in step with her as they quietly made their way to the hospital's morgue. This brought a sense of deja vu to Brielle as she thought of earlier today they both were walking in silence to the hospital, the only difference now is that she knows the truth. Tyler held Brielle's hand in hopes to provide her some comfort as the hospital came into view. Brielle took a deep breathe, squeezing Tyler's hand as she tried to calm her nerves.