Chapter 4 - Tragedy Struck

*Third Person POV*

As soon as those words came through, Brielle got up and sprinted to the pack house, her previous sorrows forgotten. As she drew closer she noticed blood coating the once green grass. She could smell that the blood belonged to both her pack and that of the rogues. She could hear the cries of her pack, especially the cries of the scared children. She pushed her wolf to run faster. 

As she neared the pack house, she saw multiple bodies laying on the ground with blood pooling around them. They were mostly the bodies of rogues, but she noticed a few of them belonging to her pack members. There were a few warriors still fighting the remaining rogues. It looks like they were struggling to put them down, but were managing. Brielle went to help one of the warriors who was surrounded by 4 rogues. She took them out instantly.

Brielle took a quick glance around and noticed the warriors managed to defeat the rest of the rogues. She shifted back into human form, quickly pulling on an oversized t-shirt that was handed to her. Brielle turned to the warrior she had helped to ask him what had happened when she felt a sharp pain across her back. She turned around to see there was a stray rogue left who managed to go unseen. Just as she was going to launch at him, a brown wolf beat her to it. The brown wolf who she then realized was Tyler, ripped the rogues head off its body. Tyler quickly shifted back, accepting a pair of shorts that were handed to him.

"Bri are you ok?" Tyler asked in concern, giving her a once over, checking for any injuries and noticing the claw marks on her back. "Holy shit Bri! We need to get your back checked!"

"I'm fine. I need to find my mom. What happened? Where is my dad?" Bri questioned, dismissing the pain on her back.

Tyler's face quickly went from concern to sorrow. "The Alpha is in critical condition. We took him straight to the pack hospital. I heard the fight out here so I rushed over to help."

"What happened to him? It takes a lot to bring down an Alpha, especially one as strong ad my dad. And why did you tell me it had to do with my mom?" Bri questioned, her voice laced with confusion and anguish. 

"There is only one thing that can bring down a wolf Bri, even someone as strong as our Alpha," Tyler stated with a solemn face.

"What could that poss-," Bri stopped mid sentence as realization hit. She looked up at Tyler for confirmation. As soon as their eyes met, she knew. "No, no it's not that. It can't be! No, no, no, NO!" Bri shouted in denial, as tears spilled down her face. 

"Bri, I'm so sorry," Tyler consoled, as he tried to pull her into a hug.

"No! You're lying, take me to my father now! I need answers. There has to be a misunderstanding. There has to be another explanation," Bri mumbled to herself as she tried to process the news.

"Ok ok, calm down. I'll take you to him," Tyler said.

They walked in silence to the pack hospital, both in deep thought. Tyler was thinking of how to protect his best friend from the heartache once the truth is confirmed. Brielle was thinking of different possibilities, trying to rule out what she already knew deep inside. Once the pack hospital came into view, Brielle sprinted the rest of the way, until she was at the front desk demanding to see her father. 

"I'm sorry Miss, but I can't let you in. He is in a critical condition right now and can't receive any visitors," the receptionist said timidly. 

"What do you mean I can't see him! I demand to be let through!" 

"Miss, please understand. We'll let you through once he's in a stable condition," the receptionist pleaded, cowering away as Brielle let her powerful aura waft of her in waves.

"Bri! Brielle!" Tyler shouted trying to get her attention.

"What!" Brielle snapped, turning her anger towards Tyler. 

Tyler gestured for her to look around. Brielle glanced around the waiting room and noticed everyone cowering into a bow, including the doctors and nurses. Brielle realized she let her full power remit. She took a deep breath and reeled it back in. Everyone cautiously stood back up and gingerly continued what they were doing, making sure to avoid the distressed young Alpha.

"I- I'm so sorry. I just really need to see my dad," Brielle apologized, looking at Tyler helplessly with tears brimming her eyes.

"Hey, come here. You'll see him when it's time ok?" Tyler said pulling her into a comforting embrace causing her to wince in pain. He then remembered the claw marks he had earlier seen on her back. "Bri, how's your back? Maybe you should get it looked at since we are here," Tyler suggested worried for his future Alpha and best friend.

"No, I'm ok. I need to be here to get news on my dad. Besides they are healing already, just tender," Bri dismisses.

After some long dreadful minutes of waiting for news, the doctor steps out into the waiting room, his eyes already searching for the young Alpha.

 "Bri, the doctor is out," Tyler informed her.

Brielle pulled back from the embrace, wiping away her dried up tears before turning to face the doctor.

"Doctor Hill," Brielle greeted rushing up to him.

"Alpha Brielle, " the doctor bowed.

"What's going on? Why has my father fallen ill? Is he stable? When can I see him? Is my mother with him?" Brielle launched question after question at Doctor Hill, not letting him answer any.

"Brielle, breathe. Let the doctor answer one question at a time," Tyler soothed.

"My apologies Doctor Hill. I'm just worried. My father has never fallen ill before."

"It's alright Alpha, I understand. I'm afraid I don't have good news," the doctor stated solemnly. 

"What?!" Brielle shouted making the doctor bow in submission.

"Bri, I know this is hard, but you need to stay calm. Let the doctor tell us what's going on," Tyler stated trying to calm his future Alpha. 

"The Alpha is currently stable but not out of the woods I'm afraid. Upon our research and the statement of the warriors, we can confirm that the Alpha has fallen ill due to the loss of his mate, our Luna. I am so sorry," the doctor delivered the harsh news with a heavy heart.

Brielle stood there frozen, trying to process the news. Even though both Tyler and now the doctor stated what had happened, her mind is still trying to deny what her heart knows is true. She knew it was true for she had felt the bond tying her to her mother break the moment it happened, but her mind was too unstable to acknowledge what had happened. The doctor apologized once more before taking his leave. Brielle felt the warm embrace of her best friend and Beta as he wrapped his arms around her. 

She stayed there for a while, in the arms of Tyler still in shock as silent tears cascaded down her paled cheeks. Out of no where Brielle pushed Tyler with too much force causing him to fall backwards stunned by the sudden action. She shifted and ran out the hospital doors, which unfortunately didn't open fast enough, causing the desolated Alpha to smash through it, the glass shattering everywhere. 

'Bri! Where are you going?' Tyler's anguished voice breaks through the link. There was no answer and he tried once more only to realize that she had put up her block. 

He muttered in frustration as he shifted and ran in the direction he saw Brielle's wolf go. He tried catching her sent but couldn't. Is this a new ability? 

'Beau, can you sense Freya at all?' Tyler asked his wolf.

'No, she blocked me out too,' the wolf whimpers. Neither Brielle nor Freya has ever blocked either of them out before. They were who she turned to in her time of need, so this hurts both Tyler and his wolf.

Tyler searched for a while until he heard a loud, painful howl rumble through the woods, reaching every pack member. The pack recognized the distressed howl to belong to their future Alpha. Every member, including Tyler howled back in sorrow at the loss of their Luna.