*8* NuNew

In the evening, after finishing work on the next scene for our series, P'Sky gathered us in his office

In the evening, after finishing work on the next scene for our series, P'Sky gathered us in his office.  He ordered me and Zee to sit on uncomfortable chairs that completely didn't match the interior design, and he took a seat behind the desk, putting on funny, round glasses with thick lenses over his nose.  He looked like someone completely without taste or sense of style.  He was wearing plain, not very thick, light, straight jeans, a white perfectly pressed shirt, and a blatantly purple jacket.

Behind our backs in the corner of the room, in order not to be conspicuous, hid P'Aof, one of the closest and friendliest people on the set of this series.

The room itself was like an overly cluttered cubicle with a small window, a grim atmosphere that was felt at every step, even though the walls were light blue and there was a very patterned red carpet on the floor.  There was one solitary orchid on the window sill.

— You have to pretend to be a couple, it shouldn't be difficult.  You will get photographed in a restaurant, run a livestream on Instagram, and over the next month you will post as many photos and videos together on social networks as possible.  This should attract attention to us, we can gain a lot of new viewers — P'Sky said in such a calm and even bored voice, as if he had uttered these sentences dozens of times already.  Maybe it was like that?  How could I know, I was just starting to work with him, yet I knew from the very beginning that I wouldn't like him.  He disgusted me, especially when, after a fat meal that had just eaten, he licked his fat fingers while talking to us, and the crumbs were lying all over the table.  I usually lost my appetite after seeing this.

P'Sky was a powerful, fat man with evil dark eyes.  When you looked into his eyes, you seemed to be looking into the abyss of hell, that somewhere inside there was a demon, malevolent, menacing, predatory and bloodthirsty.  He scared me.  When he raised his voice, I had shivers down my spine, my hair stood on end, I was afraid to take even a deep breath in his presence.  And at the same time, I also didn't tell anyone about it, imagining their responses.  Cow, Melanie, Nat and Zee would probably think I watch too many scary movies and my imagination is playing tricks on me.  Anyway ... I wanted to believe myself that I was just making it up.

P'Sky was hideous, disgusting, steeped in profit, and at the same time he was our boss, the man who gave us this job, who gave us a chance, opened the way for me to the career I always dreamed of.  And at that moment he was showing his worst side: he spoke to us without emotion, he did not soften his speech even with one gentle shadow of a smile, he looked at us icyly, continuing to gorge on the recently delivered meal.

— What?!  — I exclaimed and looked at Zee.  I was surprised that he, too, looked bored, but not completely surprised.  He just sat hunched over without a word.  He looked depressed but not surprised.  He wasn't looking at me or P'Sky, he was staring at his own lap.  So he had already heard these words.  I felt cheated and hurt.

— We need to promote our series, and nothing's going to promote it better than spreading rumors that the actors who play the main characters are really together.  People will be curious, they will want to know what it's really like.  Just think, it's a good story: an older, experienced actor falls in love with his protégé!  Such a tiny scandal for attracting attention — P'Sky stared at us, saying it as if he wanted to see our reaction, as if he was amused by my horror.  I struggled to keep from grabbing a vase from a nearby cupboard and throwing it at that asshole.  Though I was just as eager to smash that horrible thing on Zee's head for the complete lack of help I had been counting on so much.  Nobody disappointed me so painfully for a long time... I thought we were close, that we were friends and we could rely on each other.  And I know that working here requires sacrifice, shit, I know!