*21* Annie

I felt like a dead phone battery.  My eyes were burning with fatigue, my eyelids were heavy and closed by themselves, and I had to shake some energy from somewhere to survive this day, which, despite being very successful, was also tiring.  It was the first time I was abroad without my parents and without any friend, completely on my own at the mercy and help of Darcy, NuNew and Zee.  Pierre himself couldn't help me much because, like me, he was in Bangkok for the first time.

During the break, I left the building and approached the car that brought us here.  I tried to get into my luggage to get a pack of cigarettes, but the door was locked, so I disheartenedly climbed onto the hood of the car as I often did at home and sat cross-legged.  It was only after looking around and making sure no one was looking at me that I let my emotions out.  Tears began to flow down my cheeks without me realizing it.  I felt a lot of pressure.  After all, everything had to be perfect, perfect, I didn't want to make any mistakes, I wanted to be known for the fact that I apply myself exceptionally to each task and that I care about a good end result.
Pierre found me quickly, I think with some sixth sense.

— Annie?  Everything's all right?  — He asked, stepping closer.  I could feel him staring at me stubbornly, but I didn't dare look up to show him how weak I was.  Even though he saw it himself.

—Yeah, yeah, I'm fine, don't worry —  I replied, putting on a smile I'd studied over the years of pretending to be happy.  He wasn't taken in.  He himself knew what it was like to have to smile even when your heart was breaking, or when you were tired, when your legs ached from walking, and your skin started peeling and blistering.

— Annie, you're not fooling me — He said it in such a tone that I didn't know if he was criticizing me or showing concern for me, I wish it was the latter, but I didn't know him very well, it could mean anything, maybe him.  I was pissed, maybe he wished I wasn't here or if it was someone else.

— Sorry.  It's nothing, really.  I'll be right back inside.

I felt high with all the smells that surrounded us, there was something heavy about them, almost breathtaking.  I thought I was going to pass out, it was too much, my body was definitely not prepared for something like this.

*   *   *

Two days later, Pierre, Yuki and I were sitting in the lobby of the hotel where the auditions were being held, waiting for someone to come pick us up and take us to the casting room.  We didn't wait too long.  The sun had been shining an hour ago, and now we could clearly hear the menacing rumble of the storm raging outside.  Tiny rivulets of water ran down the windows, but despite such gloomy weather, we were all very animated.  I discreetly looked around and whispered descriptions to Pierre of those actors I recognized.

— Oh, and this is Max, Nat, Zee, and NuNew, let's go see them.  I'll introduce you to them —  I suggested, rising from my chair and pulling Pierre's hand.  I had already met Zee and NuNew, and we had exchanged a few words in the early morning when the two were trying to sneak out of the hotel.  They didn't say where they were going, but apparently they got back in time.  Zee introduced us to Max and Nat and I introduced them to Yuki and Pierre.

—They were the main inspiration for the characters in my story — I explained.

— Oh my, I don't know if you'll find anyone else to play them — NuNew looked sad, so I felt compelled to correct him.

— Don't worry, we're sure we'll find someone suitable, and that's because we asked your writers to rewrite the story into something more Thai.  Also, we have Alex Albon with us, who has Thai citizenship.  Just wait until he shows up.  He helped with the scripting.  Thanks to this, we were able to combine Thai culture with the story we want to tell.