OBX - JJ

Perkins gets a noise complaint about the Maybanks.

TW: Abuse, Blood, Crying, police, guns, drug abuse, yelling, minor John x JJ at the end

"Outerbanks police, what can I do for you?" Perkins answered the phone.

"Hi I live on XXX and my neighbors, the Maybanks, are being really loud, my little girl is trying to sleep!" A man said into the phone.

"Alright I'll check it out, you have a good night sir," Perkins responded, hanging up.

~

"Luke Maybank! This is the Outer Banks police!" Perkins shouted, knocking on the door.

There was no answer. Until she heard a crash and a scream.

"I'm coming in!" Perkins yelled, unholstering her gun. She kicked in the door.

The living room was clear. She moved onto the kitchen.

"Drop the bat! Right now!" She ordered as she saw Luke standing over his 8 year old son with a baseball bat. Luke looked up, dropping the weapon to the side. He yanked his son off the floor.

"What the hell are you doing in my house?" Luke demanded.

"Put your hands where I can see them, Luke," Perkins was shaking with anger. As soon as Luke released his death grip from the boys shirt, he collapsed on the floor, which was littered with broken glass and blood.

She handcuffed the drunk and put him in the car. She ran back inside, crouching next to the beaten boy.

"Hey there honey, I'm not gonna hurt you, I'm Officer Perkins, what's your name?" Perkins said gently, holding her empty hands out to him.

"JJ," the boy squeaked out.

"Ok JJ, will you come get in my car with me? You can even turn on the siren if you want," Perkins offered. JJ nodded. She helped him into the front seat with her.

~

"Can you answer some questions for me JJ?" Perkins asked as they sat in her office.

"Mhm," he nodded, they had gotten him patched up and he was given some medication for the pain. Luke was in the holding cell.

"Does your dad hit you often?" She asked. He nodded meekly.

"I saw a lot of orange and white bottles on the table, does your dad eat those a lot?" She asked next.

"Mhm, sometimes they make him sleep for a long time," JJ answered, hugging a stuffed dog Perkins had given him.

"Why does your dad get mad at you?" Perkins questioned.

"A lot of things.. if I make a mess, or do bad, sometimes he says he just needs to hit something," JJ whimpered.

"He's not gonna hurt you anymore. And if he does, you come to me, or another adult ok?" Perkins promised.

"Yes Ma'am," JJ agreed.

"I will always keep you safe," Perkins repeated.

~

JJ just kept thinking about how she had promised to keep him safe. She promised that he wouldn't hit him anymore.

It kept playing through his head as his father beat him into the same kitchen floor as the day Perkins found him 7 years ago.

"Dad please, I'm sorry!" JJ cried out.

"You talking back to me, boy?!" Luke shouted, hitting him harder.

Eventually Luke got tired, falling asleep on the couch. JJ picked himself up, not even bothering to clean up his injuries.

He walked to the police department.

"Where's Perkins?" He demanded.

"JJ what-" Shoupe started.

"Where is she Shoupe?!" JJ demanded.

"Her office! What's your deal, kid?" JJ didn't respond, only storming into the office.

"You said you would stop him!" JJ cried out, slamming his hand on her desk.

"What are you-" Perkins started. She stopped herself when she turned around to see the battered boy.

"JJ? What- did Luke do that?" Perkins asked.

"What do you think?" JJ said through gritted, bloody teeth.

"Shoupe!" Perkins called. He opened the door only a second later.

"Yeah, chief?" Shoupe asked.

"Go pick up Luke Maybank. Make it quick," Perkins ordered, Shoupe rushed out.

"Do you have somewhere to stay?" Perkins asked.

"I stay with John most of the time," JJ said.

"I'll deal with Luke, why don't you go ahead and go to John's place? Clean yourself up," Perkins told him. JJ nodded and walked out. He walked all the way to John's house.

"Johnny?" JJ called out as he knocked on the door.

"Come in Jay!" He heard from inside.

"Johnny can you bring the first aid kit in here please?" JJ shouted, sitting down on the couch.

"Yeah," John shouted back.

"I'm gonna kill that bastard," John muttered as he bandaged JJs right arm.

"Not if Perkins does it first," JJ half-joked.

"You finally went to Perkin?" John smiled up at him.

"Yeah, you should have seen her face, dude!" JJ laughed.

"I'm proud of you, Jay," John said seriously, pulling JJ into a hug.

"Thanks Johnny," JJ replied,  leaning into the hug.