~ Chapter 1 ~

Chirp, chirp, chirp.

Judith groaned as her phone went off on the nightstand beside her bed. She grabbed the extra pillow next to her and pulled it over her head, hoping it would stop the noise from coming in. Usually, her phone didn't bother her, but she had been up way too late, reading the nasty reviews yet again left on her debut novel that her agent, editor, and friend kept telling her wasn't worth the time to even look at. But, like a fool, she didn't listen and then cried herself to sleep over the hateful comments, as she had done for the past two weeks.

She had a lot of fun working on that novel and had well over two decades' worth of writing under her belt, but she was terrified to put anything out there for the public to read. When her story got into the hands of Legacy Publishing thanks to her sister-in-law, and she got a phone call, along with an email, stating how much they loved her concept and wanted to publish it, she refused to believe it. But she took a leap of faith a month ago and had them work on it. The cover was exquisite, the promotion unreal, and the before comments blew her mind. The comments once the book dropped and people read it, weren't so kind and forgiving; with a lot claiming that it had been overhyped. Needless to say, it broke her heart.

Chirp, chirp, chirp.

Judith groaned and wanted to toss her phone out the window. She didn't need the noise and didn't want people bothering her! You think most people would understand that because she didn't answer the first go around. She blinked behind her pillow and yanked it back off, tossing it beside herself. With a frustrated groan, she reached for the phone, surprised to see her editor on the other line.

"Wake up," Susan said, growling into the phone.

"It was another late night, leave me alone," Judith mumbled, clearly letting it be known she was not in a good mood. Susan sighed on the other end.

"I told you not to read those comments and yet you still do; why didn't you listen?" Even though the other woman couldn't see her, Judith shrugged. She had no real excuse other than curiosity and you know the saying, it killed the cat. Though this time it killed her heart, her self-esteem, and the best part, her belief in herself. Fucking cat was lucky it only died!

"I'm a sucker for cruel and unusual punishment, I guess. You can't blame me, Susan. I put everything into this book, I want the readers to be happy, and it seems a lot of them are not." Judith wanted to cry; well, she had actually, repeatedly. She spent a good part of the last two weeks on and off crying at night and had fallen asleep most nights with the tears still wet on her face leaving all kinds of marks on her face.

"I know, Judith, I know. We saw it, but you have to believe me when I say we wouldn't put our stamp on something that we felt was shit." Judith could give Susan that. She had read the reviews of the publishing company, had seen whom they worked with, and yeah, they were some big, decent names. So, she wasn't worried about putting her trust in them, exactly.

"Yeah, I know, I know the works you do."

"Then listen to me, to your team, not to those people. I also told you, that the first so many reviews are from nay-sayers, that it takes a couple of good solid days and weeks for the real reviews to trickle in. Trust me, damn it. I know what I'm talking about." Judith yawned and covered her mouth, even though no one was around. At 40 years old, manners were never gone from her, no matter if anyone was around to see her or not.

"Okay, okay, sorry." Judith finally sat up and rubbed her eyes. "Did you call to check in on me, anyway?"

"Not exactly, although I am glad, I called." Judith made a face at her phone before shrugging.