~ Chapter 42 ~

Things had been fine all day. In fact, he was loving the time with her. She had opened up in ways she hadn't before, and he was enjoying that. Then they came home, and while he took care of business, she had made a complete change. And for the life of him, he couldn't figure out what the hell was going on.

With a sigh to himself, he sat the bags down and looked around the room. It was cozy. Comfortable. Would have been perfect for a night that he had planned but something was going on in her head. And try as he might, he knew he wouldn't be able to get her to open up. Something about older women, when they were hardheaded, they were damn good at it. If she didn't want to talk, no one could make her talk. Because of that, there went any plans he knew they had.

"It looks nice," he finally said, unable to take the silence anymore.

"Mmhmm," was her basic response which made him clench his teeth. That was it, he was done. He had to get to the damn bottom of this.

"Judith?" He sat down on the bed, holding his hand out to her. She heard him because she froze, but she didn't turn to him nor take his hand. "Come here," he told her, reaching over for her arm and pulling her between his legs. "Now, look at me and tell me what the fuck is going on because I know something is."

"Nothing," she mumbled, and he shook his head.

"I may be younger than you, but don't treat me like a God damn kid. I can tell something is up, so at least be mature enough to fucking be open about it." Her head lifted and her eyes were wide as if he had slapped her. And maybe he did, verbally, but if there was anything that irked him, it was how people treated him because he was young. He wasn't dumb. And reading people was a thing for him.

"I'm not treating you like a kid, Angel! I don't always need to open about things, you know?"

"Funny, this whole time you've been pretty damn open, and I'm gone for a whole seven minutes, and you're shut up tighter than a virgin!"

"Is everything about sex with you? Is that all I am? I can't be unhappy because that's going to ruin the night with you. All you can think about is sex and heaven forbid if my mood doesn't allow for that." Angel reared back, totally surprised by that question and caught off guard. No, sex wasn't always on his mind. And no, he didn't always have to be fucking her, but she sure made it sound like that was his problem.

"Excuse me? Where in the world did that come from?" She stalked away and crossed her arms over her chest, giving herself a moment. Finally, she turned to look at him, a brow raised, and her eyes flashed.

"You just made a sexual reference. You were the one who wanted to come here. You were the one who couldn't wait to get back to California to fuck me."

"Hold on," Angel said, standing up to walk over to her. "Don't you start lying to cover your own issues. I'm not sure what's going in your twisted, fucking reality you have, but it wasn't me that wanted to come here. You started that, not me. I only followed your lead. So don't say I'm the sex-crazed person because I'm starting to think that's you. In fact, I will say that's you."

"Bullshit!"

"No, it's true. You're older, and older women always seem to want to have sex more and more. Don't deny it."

"That's why you go after them!" she yelled. "You know they'll fuck you. And they don't come with the damn drama that younger women do."

"I don't know, Judith. Since I've started talking to you, you've blown hot and cold almost daily. And you can't seem to figure out your own shit. If you ask me, for being older, you sure aren't wiser." Her eyes narrowed and she shoved him.

"Don't twist this on me."

"I'm not twisting anything. I'm trying to understand what the hell is going on with you! You wanted to come here, you wanted to book a room. I go to the bathroom and then I get treated like shit. I haven't done a fucking thing to you and yet I'm getting yelled at and accused of shit that's the furthest from the truth! Why?"

"Maybe being back home is showing me what I don't want anymore. Maybe it's showing me all your flaws that I'm not totally sure I can live with."

"Live with? That's a riot," he told her, grabbing his jacket. Something was up, there was no denying that, but he sure as hell wasn't going to stand around and be her punching bag. "Tell me something, Judith, do I make you happy? Have I ever made you happy?" She lifted her head but refused to say anything. "Noted. Good thing this was only for the time being and that there was no future. You're right, I'm not sure I could live with you. Glad to see that you yanked those rose glasses right off. I fuck older women because they know what they want. I've dealt with younger women who seem to know better than you. Don't bother calling me when you get back." With that, he grabbed his bag and slammed the door as he left.

He didn't need her, didn't need the headaches she was giving him. If she was having problems, fine, that was on her. But not to talk about it? Not be open about it? Accuse him of shit that wasn't true? Yeah, he didn't need that. If he wanted the headaches that came with drama and lies, he'd stick to ladies his own age. At least older women were out of that crap. Or, well the thought they would be.

As he drove to the airport, he was grateful that he had a small bag because there was no way he was going back to her house and there was no way he was contacting her to ask for his stuff. At this moment in time, he wanted nothing to do with her. And he dreaded having to see her at work.

When he got to the airport, he made quick work of changing his flight, but the flight representative asked if he wanted to change both, but he couldn't. He didn't want to see her, but he couldn't quite cancel her ticket. So, instead, he left it open for when she needed to come back. With a sigh, he walked over to a seat and plopped down, pulling his hat low on his forehead.

What had gone wrong? He couldn't figure it out. All he knew was that his heart ached. She had flown a lot of hatred and ugly words out, none that made sense to who she was. At least, not to what he came to know. He usually avoided people who were like that, so he couldn't see how he hadn't picked up on someone so dark.

He rubbed his hands over his face, trying not to drown in the pain. And to think, he wanted to be with her forever. Had even told the executives to fuck off when they had pulled him into their office and said that he needed to keep a quieter profile with Judith. He gave into their demands when it came to the film and promo bits, but if he wanted to take the woman, he loved out on a God damn date, he was going to, regardless of what they said.

Angel groaned as his phone rang. He didn't want to deal with anyone. In fact, all he wanted was to get his ass in his seat, ordered some mini bottles, and drink the whole flight back home. After another moment, Angel pulled the phone out, frowning at the caller ID. Well, at least it wasn't her saying she was sorry, because he had no fucking intention of picking up her call.

"What's up?"

"Hey, are you almost done with your break?" Angel rolled his eyes at the man on the other end. He could never figure out why they called him with a problem in filming or a problem with the set.

"Does it matter?"

"Guess not. Look, I need you to come back. We're booking more promo pieces before we start back up on filming and I need you here with Molly. I'm calling her to come back too once I hang up here. Do you have any clue where Judith is? I've been trying to reach her and she's not answering."

"I'm actually just minutes away from getting on the plane to bring me back. So, no worries there. As for Judith," Angel clenched his teeth at that, "she should have been in the hotel room, alone. No clue why she's not answering, nor do I care. I'll see you in a bit." Angel hit the end button, not catching the other man as he muttered 'about time'.