~ Chapter 34 ~

Finally, the damn thing chimed, and she ran into it, not caring if people were coming off. As fast as she could, she pushed the button for her floor and hurried the doors closed. Once they did, she sagged back against the wall, the tears pricking her eyes. The mental battle she was fighting was going to drain her.

Her mind knew the truth, that all of that was fake. That it was the show they put on. But her heart, her heart didn't like not knowing that it wasn't about her. That playing coy, or playing at all, really upset her. And it wasn't wise. Which, of course, led her down the road of wondering what the hell she was doing with an actor? It almost felt like the bed she had just left hours ago was a long-distant memory.

The doors opened and she walked out, a groan leaving her lips. She wouldn't break down in the open. Who knew what evil could be lurking around the corner to take a picture of her and post it. Through blurry eyes, she finally swiped the card to open the door. Once in, she tossed it on the little table and then plopped on her bed.

She needed to think. Need to cry. But she needed to talk too. Her friends would tell her she was stupid and blowing this up. And part of her knew that. But was it so hard to not play the part SO MUCH? Angel was a good actor. But where was the acting? The show that just happened, or with her?

Once more, she groaned, throwing her arm over her eyes. This is why she hated thinking. This is why she hated being in her head. She was so damn good at tossing around ideas and then making herself sick of them. And most of the time, they weren't even fucking true.

With a grunt, she sat up and her sore limbs protested the movement. And honestly, she fully agreed. She dug her phone out of her pocket, knowing the one person she could bounce ideas at. The one woman who never let her down and would always offer sage advice. Regardless of whether Judith took it or not. She strolled through her contacts and tapped the call icon.

"Well, hello, famous daughter of mine." Judith rolled her eyes at her mother.

"No, not famous, not by a long shot, Mom." Judith crawled over to lay on the pillow as she held the phone to her ear.

"What is it?"

"What makes you think anything is going on, Mom?"

"Really? This is me. Besides, I know your tones and there is something in your voice. So, spill. I'm going to also assume it has to do with Angel."

"How would you guess?" Her mom chuckled at that, and Judith heard a chair scrapping. Her mom was sitting at the table, waiting for her to talk. "They had a break," Judith started.

"I guess that's a good thing. What did you two do on the island?"

"He rented a cabin on the other side of the island," she whispered, the blush creeping up her cheeks. For crying out loud, she was a grown-ass woman, why was she embarrassed about this?

"Oh, I like the sound of that. Did he make your fantasies come true?"

"Mom!" Judith groaned, causing her mom to laugh again.

"Judith, your grown, I'm grown. You write romance stories. I've had babies. I was young once. I think it's way past time for you to get over this."

"It's not the act, exactly." Judith paused and she could hear her mom tapping her nails on the kitchen table.

"You have a problem with the age gap, don't you?' Judith wanted to say no, but her mom knew her. "Listen, honey, we know he's younger, but if he makes you happy, that's all we care about. That's all we want. You have never followed the norm on anything you've done. Why would finding love be any different?"