~ Chapter 18 ~

"She's coming late. I guess Tony couldn't get off early enough. But believe me, when I told her who was coming, she promised she would be here." Angel rolled his eyes.

"She's my oldest sister, a riot and her twin daughters are adorable! But Lupita wouldn't miss the chance to pick on me over you," Angel told Judith as he grabbed the wine to stick in the refrigerator.

"You make it sound like all we want to do is pick on you, mijo," Rosie said as she started setting the large table.

"Isn't it?" Angel questioned but his mom just shook her head.

"Is there anything I can do, Rosie?" Judith asked, looking around the rather large kitchen. Angel could remember what it was like when they first got it, it was a lot smaller. But over time and with some help, they expanded it to fit their ever-growing family. Angel lost count of how many times he sat around that table talking with his siblings or his parents over anything and everything.

"I'm okay but thank you! Go join the guys if you like."

"She's a stubborn woman, JD, she won't let you help. My sisters-in-law also try and always get shooed out of the question." His mom spun around and smacked him with the ever-present towel that was over her shoulder, causing him to laugh. "Besides, it's better to meet my other family members away from the kitchen table. They won't be so prone to tease you now," he told her as he took her out of the room and into the living room. At least that's what he was hoping, that some sporting event was on and would take their attention away from her. But the moment they stepped into the room and the TV was off, he knew that wasn't the case.

"Hi," Judith offered with a wave, all the men watching her.

"Uh, this is my dad, Carlos," Angel started and then pointed to the man that was to the left, "my brother Dante, you know Jesus, the short one is Sergio with his wife Lily, and last is Richie," he paused and looked around, "I don't see his wife."

"She's at home, couldn't make it. Trust me, she's bummed," Richie told him, putting his hand out for Judith to take. "She loved your book, but we got a little one that's sick, so she had to stay home. However, she's told me to tease this man even more for her," he joked, and Judith tossed a look at him.

"Something tells me you do it without needing a reason."

"You might be right," Lily told her as she stepped up. "But in this case, Angel's done a lot of talking about you. Hasn't shut up too much so we have all the reason to tease him." Judith cast another look at the man who was starting to turn red, and she loved it. It was nice to see a family that was close, and she could tell they were.

"Okay, okay, lay off," Jesus came over, wrapping his arm around her as if they were long-time buddies. "Has anything improved with you two? Have you shown him a thing or two?" This time, it was her turn to red, and that made Jesus laugh. "What's the hold-up?"

"Jesus, stop being you, please," Angel pleaded, which only caused the room to laugh. "I knew this was a mistake. I'm taking her outside." Judith waved at the crowd as Angel pushed Jesus' arm away and then took her hand, leading her outside. "I should have known everyone would be here and in fine form," he mumbled, leading her to the back patio.

"Don't be a grump. They're family. What family doesn't give each other a hard time? You heard mine briefly."

"But still," he said, shaking his head. "They can be pains in the asses." She shrugged as she looked around. The backyard was lit up, the pool on full display and she nodded to it.