~ Chapter 9 ~

Judith sat on her bed, her legs crossed as she ran her fingers back over her lips, her mind replaying that kiss over and over. And it wasn't like it was something huge, it was a peck, but it was the shock that got to her. What the hell was that about? She couldn't grasp it, no matter how much her heart raced over it. Her mind just couldn't understand and that left her feeling way beyond confused.

Then again, nothing over the last few days made sense to her and she was starting to hate it. She was a romance writer, all of these feelings should be easily explained, and yet, she's clueless; straight out clueless. Not because she couldn't see the chemistry that was between them, even only knowing each other for such a short time, but because she couldn't grasp it. Sue her, she was still not over this age deal, not one little bit.

"JD," Angel called out, knocking on the door. And look, the man of all her problems. Why couldn't he just let her sulk in peace? Why did he have to come around? So what if he was checking on her after she hopped up from the sandy beach and the perfect setting and hauled ass back to the house? She needed to think, needed to process, needed to understand, none of which she was able to do.

"Yeah," she answered with a sigh. He pushed the door open and peeked his head around, which was rather an adorable thing really.

"Are you okay?"

"Fine, thanks," she told him, wondering if that sounded as fake as she thought it did.

"Really?" he asked, pushing the door wider and crossing his arms as he leaned against the door frame. "Because you ran back here rather quickly. Almost looked like the hounds of hell were after you because of something tiny and innocent." Tiny? Innocent? Hell, they weren't to her!

Once again, she wanted to yell and smack herself because it was evident that he was just being sweet, being a friend, not putting it out there to date. And yet again, she misread the whole situation and made herself look like a fool. Was she ever going to learn? Especially with him? Probably not, she answered herself and now she was stuck looking like a fool.

"I wasn't, exactly." She had two choices here. She could be honest, tell him that she might have freaked out a little, or lie about something and look horrible that way. "I had to go to the bathroom badly." Yup, go with the lie, at least that way she didn't look like a total idiot.

"Ah, okay, well I hope you're okay because I know a great local joint that you would love," he told her as he straightened up. His look said he didn't believe her, and she almost wanted to laugh. She wasn't the world's greatest liar, so it wasn't like she was surprised.

"Sounds good, I should be good in a little bit."

"There are some meds in the cabinet if you need them. Be ready in about two hours. And I would wear jeans. The water gets colder at night." She nodded and he turned to leave, letting her be with her thoughts once more. But now, she wasn't sure she wanted that. With a groan, she flopped back on the bed and shook her head to herself.

-----

"You aren't taking me to some other family member's place, are you?" He glanced at her as he opened the car door for her and slowly shook his head.

"Promise, not a family member or a friend of the families. It's just someone I know and it's a place I go to quite often, especially when I'm here. The food is some of the best and the deals are amazing. Not to mention that the drinks are top-notch." He paused as he started to close the door. "Don't tell my brother that though, he would likely kill me." Judith laughed as he closed the door. Something told her that Jesus wouldn't mind it, but she wouldn't breathe a word.