~ Chapter 21 ~

"What are we doing here?" Judith asked as Angel parked the car and tugged her out. He had told her, but she didn't really think it would help his problem, or rather, their problem much. It was a gorgeous day to be here and since they had an early day out, it was even better, but still, she wasn't sure it was wise. Angel shrugged as he went to his trunk and pulled out a blanket.

"Haven't you ever just been, JD?" Judith glared at him before rolling her eyes. Sure, she had, it was a favorite pastime of hers, but it just struck her as odd with him, maybe.

"What's the game plan?"

"We're going to sit down, people watch, or sky watch, or do nothing. You're taking a moment to unwind with me there. To get out of your head and forget everything for just a little bit. That's the game plan. Does it really sound so bad?" He closed the trunk and gave her a pointed look. No, it didn't. Actually, it sounded refreshing, and it might help keep their hands off one another because it got way too tempting in her place. So, maybe he had a point, after all, to bring her here.

He led her to a grassy spot and laid the blanket down, quickly plopping on it, and pulling her down next to him. With a sigh, he laid back, folding his arm behind his head, and just stared up at the sky. She looked her fill at him for a few moments before turning her back to him and pulling her legs up to look out over the people. It really was a fantastic day to be out with the sun dancing in and out of the clouds, so it wasn't overly warm. And there were tons of people out. Moms with their kids, older people out walking, doggie parents running with their pups, it was great. One could almost forget they were in California. This felt like the furthest thing from the hubbub of the busy city.

"How often do you come here?" She knew she asked that of the beach, but this seemed closer so it would make sense if he came more often. Besides, he got here rather quickly and knew just where to go.

"A lot. I come out here not just to cloud gaze, but to star gaze. I have a telescope and from my place, you can't see much, there are too many lights around. So, I tend to bring my telescope out here and view the stars. I've gotten some gorgeous pictures and try to keep an eye out for those special sightings of planets or moons."

"That picture on your lock screen of the moon, it's yours?"

"Yes ma'am. I have it hooked up to a camera app that takes pictures of what I see with the telescope. Let me tell you, it's great. I have way too much fun playing with it. Probably don't do nearly as much star gazing as I like to, though." She twisted to look at him again before falling back to look up at the sky. There were just little things about this man that she kept loving. He might be some big-name actor in the works, but he was down to Earth in ways she didn't think he would be.

Oh, sure, exercise and weightlifting seemed like just as much of his past time as cloud gazing, but it seemed like it wasn't what grounded him. He liked to read romance novels to boot. He liked the beach, watching clouds and people, and loved looking at the stars. Could this man be any more boring? She had to laugh to herself at that thought.

"Donkey," she told him, pointing to the cloud above them. She felt him next to her as he twisted and shook his head.

"No way, that's a total cow." She squinted and then turned to face him, smacking his chest.

"How is that little cloud a cow? Donkeys are smaller in size. Clearly, it's a donkey."

"I think, JD, your old woman status is showing, and you need your eyes checked. How you say that's a donkey when it looks just like a cow is beyond me. So, it's evident you need glasses." She smacked him again but this time he grabbed her hand, keeping it on his chest. What was that about keeping their hands off of each other? Okay, so maybe laying down next to him and doing something so innocent wasn't good. He looked up at her as she watched him and slowly, he grinned. "I love your eyes," he told her, pushing some of her hair back that had escaped her ponytail.

"Thanks," she mumbled, trying to hide her embarrassment, but he didn't let her. Instead, his hand moved to the back of her head, and he brought her down for a sweet but searing kiss that she felt down to the soles of her feet. She wasn't just watching clouds; she was part of them with the way he made her feel. His tongue brushed along her lip line and her mouth opened under his gentle urging. And once her tongue met his, his fingers tightened on the back of her neck, bringing her even closer to him so that her body lay flush with his.

It wasn't fair how his hardness fit against her softness. And it wasn't fair how his hands seemed to ignite passions in her she hadn't been aware of when it seemed she lacked the same ability to do it to him. It wasn't fair that his kisses rendered her speechless, but hers didn't affect him. And it most certainly wasn't fair that she could melt into a pile of goo by him and all that he did to her, but he kept himself fully alert and standing tall. How was he able to do all of that?

Breathless moments later, she broke the kiss and stared down at him, his eyes darker as they stared back at her. His fingers released their hold, and he stroked her neck, a lazy smile overtaking his full lips and she had to fight the urge to lean down and kiss him again. She could hear children running around, they were in a public spot where those little ones were running, and anyone could happen upon them at any time. That thought sobered her up pretty fast and she blushed as she finally pulled back, finding her spot next to him again.

"What?" he asked, sitting up as well.

"Nothing," she mumbled, looking around at the people again. It wasn't like people watching was new, they had enjoyed it when they went to the pier.

"Don't do that," he told her, wrapping his arm around her waist. "What entered your mind there?"

"We're not alone, you know? The press could be hiding and snapping photos right now, getting ready to ruin you." He laughed as he shook his head, pulling her close again.

"Stop worrying about that. That was the point of this, remember? Well, that and for me to not try to go crazy with you, but that seems impossible. You heat me up in ways I've never known before, and I'm loving every second of it." She eyed him and he lifted a brow. "What?"

"Huh, wasn't sure if I got to you the way you got to me?" He leaned over and nipped at her ear playfully as he growled.

"Believe me, JD, you get to me quite well. And it's such a shame you haven't picked up on it. Do you not feel how hard I am?" She glanced from those gorgeous eyes down to his lap, seeing the proof right there. He was straining against his jeans, and she was thrilled it was because of her. "Now then, let's move on from talk of this so that I can get him under control please." She couldn't help but laugh and it felt good. She really had to stop clamming up into her shell and not talking, it wasn't doing her any good.

"Point taken. Since you seem to have all kinds of knowledge, where's the one spot to you that's a must-see? Biggest location on your bucket list?"

"Wow, that's a good one. There are so many places I want to go, and not all are far away. I love historical places, so DC is up there. New York, of course. Italy, Spain...," he stopped, and she just glanced at him. "You might think as an actor I've been to lots of places already, and though I've filmed quite a bit on location, nothing was ever any place different. I've done a lot of different beaches, and desert-type stuff, but no major international traveling. What about you? What's a must on your list?"

"Any place that takes me to see the Northern lights. Regardless if it's like Alaska, Canada, hell, Greenland, anything where I can see that wonderful oddity."

"You've never caught them?"

"No, I live too far south to see them, and my family wasn't big on traveling anywhere, so no. But it's the number one goal on my list." He hugged her close and nodded.

"We can make this happen. After we wrap up shooting the movie, I'll have to book us a trip to go somewhere like that."

"Why then?"

"Because, JD, shooting it doesn't nearly as long as them editing while we get to promote it. We're going to be even busier with that end, so it will be a great break, just for you and me." 'You and me,' her mind repeated. She liked that, and she could easily jump on board with that.