~ Chapter 14 ~

"Wait," Angel started but the other woman just shook her head.

"Save it. You have never been so disrespectful before, I have no idea why you thought this would be okay, but it's not. Now turn tail and take her somewhere else; she will not be dining here, no matter how beautiful she looks." The woman took a deep breath like she was ready to launch into another tirade and Judith was tempted to turn around and run back to the car. Whomever this woman was, was doing a damn good job of freaking her out. "I raised you better than that. And you know Feliz and Lupe too well to pull a dumb ass stunt like this." Wait, did she say, 'raised him'? This woman, this gorgeous younger-looking woman, could not be his mother? Why Judith felt she looked older than this woman!

"Mom," Angel started again, but she cut him off with a wave of the hand and a hard glint in her eye.

"Get your ass out of here, mijo, now. Or I will tell your dad and you are not too old for that man to take you over his knee!"

"Mrs. Morales," Judith started and almost gulped at the glare the woman turned on her.

"Oh, she has manners, that's fine, you're still a two-bit hussy. What part of leave are you not getting?"

"Mother, this is Judith!" The woman snapped her spine straight and then looked at her son before looking at Judith.

"No, you're too pretty and too young to be that writer that he loves," she said, shaking her head and Judith blushed under the compliment.

"I thank you, but I'm JD Queen, it's an honor to meet you," Judith said, holding her hand out for the other woman to take.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Queen, that was so rude of me," she said, shaking Judith's hand who only shook her head.

"No need. It's nice to know that I'm the first guest of Angel's."

"Well, you should be, Angel knows better than to bring whatever flavor of the week here. I'm Rosie, it's a pleasure. Please, let me seat you. Feliz and Lupe are practically family to us and would love to see Angel and meet you," she said, walking them toward the back. Judith followed the woman, but she couldn't help but cast a glance at Angel, wondering about his thoughts at this moment. Honestly, after the initial scare, she wanted to go somewhere and laugh.

His mother reminded her so much of her own. They were the type to not put up with any shit, no matter where that shit was coming from, and it was good to see. In that woman, she saw how he would always be humble because she would never let him get a huge ego. And if her comment held any truth, neither would his dad. Those were awesome parents in her eyes, even if she was scared shitless.

"Thank you, mom," Angel said, brushing a kiss across his mother's cheek before holding out the chair for Judith to sit down in. "Please stay and join us," Angel said, walking over to another chair to pull it out.

"Oh, no mijo, I don't want to intrude. I think I've done enough damage already."

"Please, stay Mrs. Morales, I'd love for you to join us and talk some more. Maybe you can give me some of the embarrassing details about your son," Judith told her, eyeing Angel but she couldn't wipe the grin off her face. Sure, she didn't want to meet his family, but it sure seemed like fate was having its own agenda and she didn't want to stop it. It was moving the road that she wanted to tread slowly a little faster than she'd like, but she just has to sit back and deal.

"I'm not all too sure Angel would care for that, Judith. But," the older woman said, looking at her son who just shook his head in response, "I do a lot of things that my son doesn't like. Did he tell you what a big fan of yours he is?"