~ Chapter 35 ~

"I think I better go, Mom," Judith said, her eyes locked with Angel's. He was furious. And he was hurt. A tornado rolled around in his stomach.

"Bye, honey. Bye Angel."

"Bye," he called out, crossing his arms over his chest. When she had walked into that conference room, his whole body felt the zing of her. And the moment she walked out, slamming the door, he felt it. What he couldn't understand was why. What was said that upset her so much? Especially after the days they had just shared. He watched as she ended the call and then put her phone on the table next to her bed.

"You don't have to stand there like that," she said quietly, her hands now fidgeting with the bedspread. Like hell, he didn't. He was trying to control his frustration, something he didn't like, honestly.

"Talk, Judith." She cringed. Because of the tone, or the name, he wasn't sure. Really, he didn't care. She was retreating, again, and he wasn't liking it. Honestly, it was getting kind of old, especially since he was struggling to make her see just how wonderful she was and how in love he was. Well, okay, he wasn't going there yet, but it was the truth.

"I was there."

"I know you were. Besides the fact that I saw you, my body felt yours the moment you entered the room." She opened her mouth and then shut it, falling back on the bed.

"I didn't want to be upset! But did you hear yourself speaking?" Angel sighed and moved to sit down next to her, his leg brushing hers.

"Judith, look at me." She groaned as she rolled her head and stared at him. "How many times have I told you that the press love lies?"

"I know!"

"Do you? Because you storming out is telling me something different. I wish I could sit and tell you that we don't know those fools downstairs, but we do. We need them to drum up the mysteriousness. We need them on our side. I never once said your name, and I never once said Molly's. If they want to take a glance as something more, that's on them. If they want to print a story to sell more movie tickets, that's on them. It's the game we all have to play. And though you may not like it, that goes for you too.

"Being with me isn't always easy, I know that. I know that it hurts you for me not to be open about it. But so long as we're working on the same script and set together, I can't mention you. Not like that. But I also won't mention another name. If they want to believe it, they are the dumbasses that will."

"So, it does come down to that illusion bit?"

"I told you that from the start. It's the illusion they want to believe, the illusion they need to buy. Again, we can sell the shit out of that, but in the end, if they believe it, it's all on them. What's funny, it's a trick that's used over and over again in Hollywood, but they still don't quite stop buying into it. Because, over time, we as actors, know how to play our parts pretty well. They want Molly and I to be together and won't be happy until they THINK that. Even if I said it wasn't her, if we sell it right, they will believe their eyes, not the words out of my mouth."

"I want to believe it."

"Judith," he told her, inching closer to her, "there is nothing stopping you from that either. If what happened down there bothered you that much, then this is going to be a very rough road for you. But," he said, running his hand down her arm and lacing their fingers together, "the last few days that we have spent together, wrapped up in each other's bodies, have been absolute heaven for me. I have never experienced that with any other woman, and really, I'm not sure I want to." Her gaze locked with his and though he wouldn't quite put it out that how he saw only her in his future because he didn't need to fucking scare her off, he did want her to understand how much she meant to him.