~ Chapter 8 ~

Well, what did one say to that? Judith couldn't help but blink at him several times before turning her gaze to the endless waves. After that, she needed something to refocus her mind on. Because those words had images sprouting of him pushing her against a wall and taking something that she was more than freely willing to give. And she was more of a quiet lover than some loud one like he was probably thinking. She wasn't a virgin, but at 40, she could list all the men she had slept with on two hands.

No, he couldn't want her like that, it wouldn't be wise. He didn't know what he was asking or saying. But then again, the look he gave her sure made it seem like he had a damn good idea. Oh, please don't let him fall for some image he made up in his head about her, because she was almost certain it wasn't accurate, and she didn't want to break his heart.

"Angel," she started, but he gently touched her arm.

"I'm not naïve and I'm not dumb, anyone can see how standoffish you are." That almost had her bristling. She wasn't standoffish, she was just concerned, they were two totally different things! Okay, well, maybe not, but he still didn't have to mention it. "I'm just letting you know, JD, not to assume that I'm some young, foolish man who has no clue about anything."

"What makes you think I know anything, though?" He chuckled as he rested back on his hands. He watched her for a second or two before looking back at the water.

"Your bio on Amazon has the links to a few other stories you have shared but not published, so I might have read them. Even if you haven't done half the stuff you wrote about, you want to try it. Therefore, that makes you one hell of a lover because you're open to the ideas of stuff." She opened her mouth and then shut it just as fast. How dare he be right in pegging her like that! But it wasn't like she would tell him that. With a sigh, she fully sat down in the sand and brought her legs up to rest her head on her knees.

"So, you're into older women?" Why was she stuck on that? Because this good-looking, young man was just shy of being a kid she could have had. God, there was a 13-year age gap, that was pretty big.

"Yeah, I am. My mom just laughed and said she was not surprised. I have another brother who is into younger chicks, so I guess we even things out." Judith shook her head and then turned her head to look at him.

"Angel," but she paused and then shook her head. Honestly, she had no clue what the hell she was going to say. It wasn't like anything had even begun and it was foolish of her to think that it had.

"JD, relax. I'm not saying anything or even suggesting anything, so don't get in an uproar." He reached over and took her hand, squeezing it. "Let's just work on the friend's part. You need to get over that before anything was to happen if it does." She wasn't sure why those words 'if it does' twisted her stomach, but they did. After that whole speech, was he saying he didn't want something to happen? Or was he just being considerate of her and her feelings?

"Right, friends, of course." She let go of his hand and turned back to look at the water, taking in a deep breath of the ocean smell. "How often do you get out here?"

"Not nearly as much as I like. But when the director calls for a break, you can bet your ass I'm here, or with my family. Sometimes I have some siblings come out here and we enjoy the company."

"What do you do with them?" she questioned, still taking in the beautiful scenery.

"Games, my family loves games. Board games, card games, hell, and even some like video games. I have about ten board games in the closet, along with about 12 freaking decks of cards. They really don't let me get a big head. And it's funny, I tell a lot of interviewers I'm a really grounded guy, and of course, they don't believe me. But I've taken my mom out a few times and my sisters, and people are starting to see just how right I am. My family really will knock my ass to the ground if my ego ever gets too big."

"Pop you like a balloon?"

"With extra needles." She watched him out of the corner of her eye as he shook his head. "They really are a great family and I think you'd enjoy them. You saw how laid back my brother was."

"Oh, just friends meeting the family huh?" He rolled his eyes and then shoved her, causing her to laugh as she fell into the sand.

"Okay, enough about me hotshot, what about you? What's your family like? How did you even get into writing?" She sat up and dusted the sand off of her, smiling the whole time.

"Well, my family isn't too far off from yours. We're a close-knit bunch, being there for each other when we can and however we can. As far as writing, I've been doing it since I was a little girl. I wrote short stories throughout high school and my teachers loved them, one even got submitted to a local newspaper and at that point, that was my only bit of fame.

"Since then, I've dabbled here and there and then took a long break. I started dating this man, who was amazing to me, and we saw each other on and off for a while. I could have seen myself married to him. What I didn't know was that he was amazing to three other ladies as well." She almost laughed at the look on his face and shrugged. "I used the anger I had to write a very short murder mystery, it was only a few chapters, but it felt good to vent, and it felt even better to write since I hadn't done it in many years. I found some freebie sites and shared that. Oddly enough, it garnished some fans and then I wrote another short story, which made some waves on the sites as well. That was about four years ago and hadn't looked back since."

"Writing machine, aren't you?" She laughed as she pulled her hair back.

"Hardly! I would love to write more, but between the family and the job, writing is a part-time job. Although, I do try to find every spare minute that I can to write."

"Even with all this success, you have to work?"

"Don't let this one-time dream fool you, Angel. This was my debut novel to be published and though the road has been amazing, it's still not enough for me to walk away from my job. In fact, I've been doing some of it while I've been out here. The bosses have been great, but I don't believe this is going to shoot me up to stardom and I'm going to be famous or something." He tilted his head as he regarded her, and she started to fidget. It was obvious he was seeing something that she didn't like, and she wasn't sure she wanted him to mention it now.

"What?" she finally asked, hating the silence, even if it was brief.

"You don't have much faith in yourself, do you?" Ouch, did he have to hit her where she always hurt? Of course, the answer to that was no, she didn't, she never had. She wasn't a pessimist unless it came to her writing. In that one case, she always believed that the sky would fall down on her. "You don't have to answer, I can see it on your face."

"I have faith, just not in my writing." He laughed as he turned to face her, taking her hands again. She actually noticed how strong and warm they were against hers.

"And it's one thing to have faith in, JD! I may not have spent tons of years in Hollywood, but I have been around it. Do you know how many stories get adapted to the big screen?"

"Actually, quite a few so that's nothing to base my writing skills on." He pressed his finger against her lips and shook his head.

"Let me finish before you go on your tirade. You're right, a crap ton of movies are based on books, or roughly based upon them. However, you will find Hollywood will change what they can to make sure their product sells, even if that love scene wasn't in there, or some massive fight scene. Sure, writers are on set but most times, their work is fucked up and changed. However, to hear someone as big as Victor, and as powerful in this world of Hollywood, want to keep your book as intact as possible because the love and emotions in it are astounding, is something you don't hear! That shows you how much he values what he read and values your skills. If there is one thing to lack faith in, your writing is not it." She swallowed hard as she fought the tears. Deep down she knew she was good, she had fans. But sometimes, it was hard to get out of her own head. And to hear him say that, to speak so highly of her, it was amazing.

"Thank you, Angel."

"No need to thank me. Just believe in yourself, because others do. I told you, I read your story twice, but I loved it and found it so well written." She smiled as she sniffled and tried to wipe the lone tear away. But his hands moved from hers and cupped her cheeks, his thumb swiping at the liquid. And before she could register what was happening, his lips were lightly brushing hers, and she almost jumped from the shock that ran through her body.