~ Chapter 38 ~

"I know. Is that a bad thing?" Judith looked up from her screen and over at him. She took a sip of her coffee, waiting for him to clear his mouth.

"No, not at all. Just reminding you. I think there were some red carpet things or something."

"Or something," she repeated, shaking her head at him.

"I meant, are you ready?" Judith adjusted her laptop after she sat her coffee down and then paused.

"Why are you asking if I'm ready?" Finishing his quick breakfast, he pushed his bowl away and leaned on the table, looking at her carefully.

"Because you're going. Red carpet means all fancy."

"I've seen celebrities not all dolled up," she muttered, and he laughed.

"Sure, some don't. but most do. And given that the higher-ups are going to be around, they're going to make it fancy. Dresses, black ties, you know, looking good for the brand."

"I'm not the actors." He reached over and took her hands, rubbing his thumb over the back of it.

"No, you aren't Judith, you're just the writer of the book. But believe me when I say, you will be there. They will want you there. There will be photographers and interviewers. I'm sure they will want to talk to you." She swallowed, hard. This was not what she wanted to hear. She had already faded into the background quite a bit, why would she be anywhere near front and center now?

"I think you're wrong Angel. I don't think anyone would want me there." He snorted. Standing up, he stretched and shook his head.

"I can't make you believe anything, but again, I know this world. I'm part of it, you're not." She licked her lips, knowing he didn't mean that in a harsh way, but it still hurt. Okay, maybe she wanted it to hurt and maybe she read it the wrong way. Because she really did know he was probably right. And so far, her wants in not being anywhere near that spotlight had been trampled on.

Next time someone asked if she wanted her book made into a movie, she was saying sure, and giving them free rein. Well, no, she really wouldn't, but she would think twice about jumping at such a chance. This was all the parts she hated. With a groan, she rubbed her forehead.

"I don't like you," she mumbled, rolling her eyes at his laugh. He placed a kiss on the top of her head as he walked back to her room.

"Don't hate me because I'm the one reminding you. You knew damn good and well it was coming too. Besides, don't you want to play dress up, see me all decked out, and be my date?" That had her up and out of the seat and high-tailing back to her room.

"You're date?"

"Mmhmm," he told her as he slipped his shirt on, covering up his naked and glorious chest, which was such a crime. "No one needs to know we're dating, and no one needs to question why I'm there with you or why we're walking the carpet together. Unless someone tells me something, I want you with me, not anyone else."

"Is that possible?" He walked over to her, lifting her chin with his finger.

"Judith, remember, it's not forbidden. I'm acting a role for the press, and at this moment, I'm going with you."

"But it's the press we're going for. I think they're going to want you with Molly."

"Listen to me," he told her, bopping the tip of her nose and she swatted her hand at him. "They might want me with Molly, they might even demand photos, but until I get the nod from those that sign my checks, I'm not doing it. Right now, I'm taking you. I want you there. So, let it be and enjoy the pampering and primping that will come your way." He kissed her before walking out of the room.