four.

Nola Scott

If there is one place I never expected to have to see the most horrendous face on the planet? It'd be my house, in my front yard.

Yet, here I stand.
Jaw on the floor, ready to slash the tires of this stupid, black Lamborghini.

I inch toward the car, knocking on the window three times. Miles's gray eyes look up at me, his brows furrowing with something that looks like confusion. He rolls down his window a marginal amount. "You on the wrong side of town, kid?" he asks, looking around. Asshole! I fake a smile and give him my middle finger. "No, are you? I live here."

I can't even take him seriously right now. Who the hell drives a Lamborghini around town? I thought people just got them for decoration. His eyes widen slightly but he doesn't let the 'I didn't know' look on his face last too long. "My buddy is here. Had to meet up with some girl for an assignment or something," Miles says.

I already knew that. Well, not the full story at least.

Today is November 15th, my brother Brooks', 15th birthday party. My parents decided to do something for him in our all but small backyard and invited friends and family over. Ember had told me she wanted to come with me, so I let her. But her being little miss A+ student didn't let class work go undone.

She told me this guy named Jason Tayler was coming over. When I was made aware that he was a rookie who played for the Los Angeles Kings, I almost spit out the ice-cold water in my mouth. Why did that stupid team feel the need to follow me everywhere? Including my childhood house?

Now I had no idea that Miles was the 'friend' who was waiting in the car for him in my front yard when he introduced himself to me. I wasn't even going to go check out who it was either but some burning sensation in my chest told me to go. After all, I didn't want any creepers around my parent's private property.

And of course, with my luck, Miles Dempsey sits pretty in his Lamborghini in my parent's front yard. I'm going to kill Ember for giving them the code to come in here.

"Uhm, well, this is my house. You can't just be parked here dripping gas on the driveway." I'm aware of how dumb I sound right now but I don't want him anywhere near me or my house. Especially with the knowledge that my family knows who he is. Hell, Brooks recognized Jason almost immediately.

Miles let's put a low, deep chuckle that rattles my core.

"I can come inside. Introdu-"

"Not happening," I interrupt, holding a finger up at him. He puts his hands up in defense and shrugs. "Looks like I'll just sit here and drip my gas then." His face remains expressionless which ticks me off to new extremes. I'm surprised he's not more offended by what I told him last weekend. I was sure he would be crying about it from how upset he seemed at my honest judgment of him.

His gray eyes pierce through me when I don't reply to his comment. I don't back down, staring back in challenge. A small smirk crawls onto his lips but he rubs them to make it disappear. I narrow my eyes a fraction at his dumb smile. When his eyes finally fall, they take me in. His eyes burn through my 5'4 self, igniting with something unfamiliar to me as he returns his silver eyes to me.

"You-"

My phone rings in the pocket of my blue jeans, cutting him off. I stare at him shortly before pulling it out. It's Ember. After pressing the green answer button, I walk away from Miles' car and pull the phone up to my ear. "Yes? Is your classmate finally leaving?" I say in almost a whisper so Miles won't hear me. Ember groans on the other line.

"He can't! I'm not done with him yet. I was going to call and ask if you could invite his teammate, Miles, inside. He's parked in a black Lambo in your front yard. Sexy right?" My eyes shut tight at all of her words. Ember knows nothing about my interaction with Miles at Blazing Ice. She's not aware I know this dude all too well. I don't want to tell her right now but I surely cannot invite him inside my house either.