thirty-four.

Nola Scott

Ember and JT making up was one of the best possible outcomes. Now, I didn't have to come to games alone. Kaitlyn didn't come to every single game so I couldn't rely on her most times. This was my roommate's second hockey game and we had an absolute blast. Doing things with your best friend is always better than doing things alone.

The Kings beat Anaheim 6-3. Even though Miles has been off his rocker, his performance tonight was great. He had two goals and one assist to Tate. We waited for the boys after the game and then Miles drove us back to Ember and I's place. The four of hung out in the living room for a while before JT and Em sneakily found their way to her room. So now it was just Miles and I.

He's been more timid than usual this past week and I'm positive it's because of his encounter with that fan on Tuesday. We've talked every day since then and I've made sure to check on his emotions. He puts on a happy face for others but when it's just us, I see the real him.

"My mom said she wants to see you again. She says 'It's been a while'," Miles tells me. I smile at the mention of his mom. The last time I talked to her was when I first met her. I'm shocked she brought me up to Miles but glad. She's lovely. "I'll have to see her soon then," I say. He smiles small and nods his head. That last sentence hangs above us.

As much as I feel comfortable in our usual silence, this one is a lot more deafening. Seeing Miles upset isn't nice. I wish there was something I could say that would change the way he's feeling but he's just in his head. It's hard to get him out of there. Looking at him right now, all I want to do is lay my head on his lap and try to make him smile. Laugh. Forget.

I don't know. I just want to make him feel something.

He's helped me do all those things when I've been down these last couple of months. Miles has been there for me more than anyone else and now that it's time to return the favor, I can't figure out how. "Did you know Ember's getting a puppy?" I ask. He actually lifts his head to look at me. "She is?" he queries. I nod quickly and pull my phone out of my shorts.

Pressing on Ember and I's message thread, I show him the picture of the golden retriever mixed with a husky pup that her dad got for her. "He'll be here in a week," I say, smiling. "Cute dog," Miles replies but not one emotion crosses his features. Oh, God. That was stupid. How could I forget he's a cat person? A picture of a dog isn't going to make him happy.

I contemplate asking Aviana for a picture of her kitten, Mable.

My mind tries to come up with conversation ideas but falls flat. Usually, we can't stop talking when we're together but I know times are different. Maybe he wants to be alone. "Do you want to go home? I can give JT a ride back later," I tell him. Miles looks at me again, shaking his head. He clears his throat. "No. I don't want to be alone. I'm sorry I haven't been my usual self, I'm just thin-"

Quickly, I cut him off. He doesn't owe me an apology. "I get it. Don't worry about it." He nods and I chew on my bottom lip when he looks away. "Do you want to talk about it? I'm here to listen," I suggest. To my surprise, he nods, turning his body toward mine on the couch. It takes him a couple of minutes before he says anything. "I've been thinking and I think I am going to ask my mom and pops about them. But not until the seasons over. Whenever that may be."

Progress. That's a great sign.

"That sounds like a good idea. But if you change your mind and want to do it sooner or even later, that is completely okay too," I assure him. It's easy to change your mind about things and if he decides in a couple of weeks that he can't wait, then that'll be fine. Plus, the regular season doesn't end for another two months. Who knows how far the Kings will make it this season?