twenty-three.

Miles Dempsey

Our last two games since finally losing our 22 game winning streak have been wins. Coach put us through hell the past couple of days and today was no different. I took a cold shower after practice, one that lasted longer than usual. After that, I get a quick ten-minute massage from the team's masseuse. By the time I get back to the locker room, half of the team has left.

JT sits in his locker on his phone still only in a pair of boxers. I slip into a tight-fit Kings shirt as I watch him. His brows are pulled together and he looks frustrated. To be fair, he's had the same two looks on his face this past week. "Almost ready to go, Jay?" I ask. He looks up at me and nods before looking back down. The silence isn't new either. Coach and the guys who talk to him are the only people he's spoken to since his little kerfuffle with Ember.

I've talked to Nola and she said Ember isn't any different. Neither of us knows the full story of what's happened to them since they won't say anything. We're not taking any sides but so far it feels like we have been. I haven't seen either of the girls for almost a week.

Conversations with Nola have been short just because we're both so busy. Her with figure skating and me with hockey. She's been telling me how her practices are going and they sound good so far. It's an exciting time for her and I like knowing that she hasn't hit a bump in the road yet. We've talked about all the possibilities in her journey and she seems ready for anything that comes her way.

I'll be here for support if she feels like it's too much.

The drive home is unsurprisingly quiet with only the sound of music playing from my speaker. When the gate opens up for me, I notice a familiar car in my parking lot. It catches JT's attention too because he's instantly on edge. I feel the tension floating around us as I pull up to my usual spot, next to Nola's rover. She hops out of the driver's side before we get out of the BMW.

JT lets out a sigh. I don't know if it's from relief or disappointment that Ember isn't with her. I get out of my car before JT, leaving my stuff in the back for now. "Hey, hockey boys," Nola's voice is cheery. She shuts the door to her Rover with her backside as she holds some kind of dessert in her hand. JT gets out of the car and looks at her confused. "What are you doing here?" I ask first.

I haven't talked to her since yesterday afternoon and she never mentioned stopping by today. "I've brought dessert," she says, a huge smile on her face. She shows JT, who's standing right next to her, the box. Bumping her hip with his, I see a small smile try to peak through his lips as he stares at her. "C'mon, I know you guys must be starving after practice cause I damn sure am." Nola starts walking toward my door and I follow quickly behind her to get it open.

Once she sets down the box on the dining table, I see it's carrot cake from Simone's a popular bakery nearby. My stomach rumbles at the sight and I grab three plates and forks. JT takes a seat next to Nola on the barstools as I open up the box. "Hey, how are you?" she asks him, her voice soft. Since the pieces of cake are precut, I just use the fork to move them over to our plates.

"Fine." Came his short reply. His leg bounces up and down anxiously as I set down the plate in front of him. Nola rubs his back with her hand and I see him calm down instantly. "Give her time, she'll come around," Nola whispers to him but it's loud enough for me to hear. He responds with a clipped nod and we all eat our carrot cake in silence.

JT finishes first, washing his dirty dishes quickly. "Thanks for the cake, Nola. I have to go study film for tomorrow so I'll see you around." He pats her back lightly and she gives him a small smile as he turns around to go upstairs. "You were right," she tells me once he's in his room. "That boy is lovesick." I cut a piece of cake with my fork and eat it as I nod my head. "How's he been playing? I haven't had time to watch games."