forty-two.

Miles Dempsey

8-2.

That was the final score of today's game. I have no idea how we managed to put up so many points but I'm never complaining. We played a great game and the season is slowly coming to an end. Playoffs are getting closer and the Kings have already secured a spot.

At the beginning of the year, I could feel just how different this season was going to be. I'm so glad I was proven right. We haven't had a decent season in years. The boys have been pulling this off amazingly and I'm starting to feel like shit for the fact that I'm missing two games so close to the end of the season.

But at the same time... I have to be there for Nola.
I want to be there for her.

Plus, with the way the guys are stepping up, I'm sure they'll be fine without me. Out of the eight goals scored tonight, only one belonged to me. Teamwork was what we had struggled with for years but this year had been a complete turnaround. If we keep playing the way we were, the Stanley Cup wouldn't sound like a dream anymore.

I've done the first-round pick.
I've earned Rookie of the Year.
I've gotten the trophies throughout the years.

The Stanley Cup is the only thing I don't have. It's the one I want the most. I'll be damned if we went this far into the season just to throw it all away in the end. I won't let this season go to waste.

Once the game was over, I decided to pay a friend a little visit. Nola would leave for Stockholm tomorrow and I was going to leave on Thursday. I haven't told Coach about my two-game absence yet. To be honest, I keep pussying out. I'm not scared of anyone but that motherfucker can be scary. I'm not sure how he'll feel about it.

I knock on Nola's apartment door, standing back as I wait. Just like I figured, her tiny friend opened the door. She smiles brightly up at me. "Oh, hey Miles. Nola isn't home from practice yet," she tells me. "I know. I came to talk to you," I say, slipping past her and entering the girl's apartment. Sliding into one of their stools, Ember closes the door behind me. "Me?" she asks, pointing at her chest.

"Yes ma'am. I have two questions for you," I say. Another smile crosses her lips and she comes over leaning on the counter in front of her. "Okay, go ahead," she says. Nola had told me that Ember wasn't going to come see her in Stockholm. She didn't say why but I figured maybe it was because of school. That was my best guess.

"Why aren't you going to see Nola at Worlds?" I question. Her smile falls a bit at my words. "I can't really afford it. A plane ticket. Her parents would take me but I would feel beyond terrible. It's too much money. I hate when people spend money on me. I really wanted to go but all the money I get goes toward making sure I eat at least one meal every day. So... I have to miss it. But I'll be watching on TV, I swear!"

I figured it would be because of school or her own busy schedule with figure skating. "Can you keep a secret?" I ask. She looks at me with a wary look but nods anyway. "I'm going to Stockholm Thursday. I want to be there for Nola and... I was going to ask you to come with me." No beating around the bush, Nola should have her best friend there.

Ember stands up straight. "Miles..." I raise a hand to stop her from saying no. "You should be there, Ember. Imagine how special it'll be for her to see her best friend there. It'll be a nice surprise, both of us, don't you think? I'd bring the kid but if I'm not going to be playing games I need him to take over. What do you say?"

The girl bites on her thumbnail anxiously, her brows furrowed together. "How would we get there?" she asks. "Plane. I'll get you your ticket so don't worry about money," I assure her. She drops her hand from her mouth and slumps her shoulders forward. "I just told you the reason I'm not going with the Scott's is because of money! I cannot take your money, no way." The little brunette shakes her head.