forty-three.

Nola Scott

I was thankful that the first two faces I saw this morning were my mom and dad. They looked like angels with halos over their heads, smiling down at me. My nerves had been prickling at me all night and I barely got any sleep. Waking up and seeing them was the best gift I could have asked for.

"We're here to take you to the airport!" Mom said. Ember slipped in front of my parents then. "I'm coming too!" They were all too cheery considering it was three in the morning. I looked around for my siblings who were always grumpy when woken up but they were nowhere to be found.

I would have hoped to see them here but I guess I'll see them in a couple of days. "C'mon, Granola. We're picking up some food before we drop you off. We already packed your stuff into the car," Dad says. I look over to where my suitcase used to be. "Thanks, guys, let me change really quick."

As I get out of bed, Mom and Dad exit the room. Ember's arms wrap around my shoulders as she pulls me in for a hug. "I'm so proud of you! You're going to do great and I can't wait to see you." Her words come out in a muffle. My heart warms at her sentiments. I so wish she could have gone. It would have been nice having my figure skating bestie by my side.

"Don't forget to watch. I know you're not asleep at one am," I remind her of the time difference. She finally pulls away from my hold. "Oh, I'll be watching. You bet your ass I will," Ember says before proceeding to smack my butt. I laugh, shaking my head. "Change, c'mon! Your flight leaves in two hours!"

She finally runs out of my room after that allowing me to get the rest of my little things ready. I don't take any longer than ten minutes and Ember, Mom, Dad, and I are out of the house shortly after that. We decided to go straight to the airport and get some food there since everything in the city is pretty much closed.

I get something light since I'm about to be on a plane for ten-plus hours and don't want my stomach to get messed up. After we eat, Coach Laurel texts me that she's waiting with the other girls and their coaches at the gate. Mom, Dad, and Ember walk me to my gate. "Keep your head up, kid. You're going to do great things," my dad says, wrapping his arms around my shoulders and pulling me in for a hug.

I let myself fall into him and bask in the comfort he gives me. He's one of my best friends. Always has been. "Not that you already aren't. This is just a bigger step to your greatness. Call me if you need anything. It doesn't matter the time or if you think I'm at work, call me," he reiterates. My emotions try to get the best of me but I hold back the tears.

Mom takes Dad's place soon enough, hugging me for the longest time. "Ugh, I love you so much. You don't know how proud of you I am, Nola." She pulls away quickly to kiss my forehead but pulls me back in. I laugh. "I love you too, mom. Thanks, I couldn't have done any of this without you and Dad, honestly."

Tears well in her eyes which make the ones I was holding back come forward. "You're going to absolutely kill it. We're so proud of you. All of us," she adds. The tears don't fall as I try to keep my emotions at bay. I'm already a mess and I haven't even got to Stockholm.

After Mom lets go, Ember steps up and hugs me. She's a bit shorter than I am so she pulls me down, rocking me back and forth. "I'm so excited for you, bestie. I know how much you've wanted this for years. I'll be watching you the whole way, I promise," she says into my ear. It would have been amazing to have Em with me. I still wish her schedule wasn't as busy as it was.

"Thanks, Em. I love you," I say. We pull away and a smile crosses her lips. "I love you too. Also, I know you have to leave and I don't think he'll make it but Ja-"

"Nola! Oh, thank goodness you haven't left!" Ember's words are cut off by a familiar voice. All of our attention goes toward the tall, blonde boy who runs in our direction. I'm not even smiling fully before he wraps his big arms around my shoulders and hugs me. "I had to say good luck to my bestie before she left to go be an Olympian," JT says. His hug is warm and comforting and I take in all the comfort I can get.