fifty-five.

Miles Dempsey

The minute I hit send on that text, there was no going back.

It had only been a couple of days since Tate had gotten a confession out of me. One that I had been holding in for weeks. Of course, it was him that finally got me to admit it. Since the moment I saw her, I felt a weird pull to her. The only reason I kept it to myself was because of the relationship between us those first couple of weeks.

It had been a long time since someone had that kind of effect on my feelings. I'm not even going to lie, it scared the shit out of me. I barely knew the girl and she was constantly on my mind. The more I got to know her, the worse it got. She just continued to infiltrate my thoughts. Now, she's all I fucking think about.

Getting close to her was never the plan.
Hell, being friends with her was never the plan.

After everything I've learned these past couple of weeks, Nola being in my life just makes sense. We were always meant to find each other. It was just a matter of time. Our lives were intertwined this whole time and we had no idea.

I've been going back and forth with myself every single day. There's a part of me that doesn't want to tell her how I feel about her. Then there's the other part of me that wants to tell her exactly how I feel. Both options have their pros and cons but in the end, I've decided that I have to tell her.

My heart outweighed my head in this one.

I'm trying to assure myself that every reason I'm telling her how I feel is better than not telling her anything. I want her to be mine more than I've wanted anything in a long time. Fear is still an emotion that's there. My anxiety is prickling at the thought of everything that can go wrong but I know she'll be the calm in my storm.

Her presence alone makes me feel safe.
I need her more than I need anything else right now.
So there's no going back. Tonight is the night.

She's going to be mine and even better; I'm going to be hers.

This is a conversation I don't know how to start. My hands are already clammy, throat dry. How the hell do you tell a girl you have feelings for her? I haven't done it since high school and I'm pretty sure I just kissed that girl. I'm not going to kiss Nola. I've already kissed her and I'm still thinking that wasn't the best thing to do.

Deep down she probably thinks I'm an asshole for it. I'll admit I am too. It's been a couple of weeks since then and I've yet to tell her that kiss meant something to me. Our relationship hasn't been the same since that night and we both know it. The final step is admitting that I've fallen for her. To tell her just how much she means to me and hope that she feels the same way.

JT wasn't home tonight. He went to Garretts, a fellow rookie, place after the game. About an hour ago, he texted me letting me know he was gonna crash there. Something about being deep into a video game he and Garrett liked to play.

When I found out Nola was going out with some of the guys' girls tonight, I knew she most likely wouldn't get drunk. I've been around Kaitlyn after a night out enough to know that despite Nola being the younger one, she was going to be the caretaker. I was texting her earlier for updates on Kait after Tate kept texting me to ask her since she hadn't replied to him.

I also just wanted to know what she was doing and if she was okay. Tate texted me a couple minutes after Nola replied to my messages telling me that Kait was home and a little too drunk for his liking. Those girls know how to party, especially Kait. I'm just hoping that being a babysitter tonight didn't kill her mood.

I switch on the TV downstairs to make it look like I'm not just waiting around for her to show up. It's been a while since the game ended so I've already switched into something a lot more comfortable. My muscles ache from all the contact earlier.