forty.

Nola Scott

"It's been a while, eh?" JT says, placing his feet on his bed that I'm currently sitting on. He sits on his gaming chair, his body turned to face me. "We've talked," I defend. "We have. But just us like this," he points between the two of us, "it's been a while."

That part is true. JT has become one of my best friends these last couple of months but life has kept us both busy. His with hockey and school. Mine with figure skating. We talk on the phone occasionally and text almost every day. The contact between us is always there but sitting in the same room, just the two of is something we haven't done in a while.

He didn't have a game today and no practice either so I decided to come hang with him. Ember was going to join but she was stressing over an assignment she hadn't begun on - surprisingly - that was due in a couple of hours.

"How are you feeling?" he asks. I let out a deep breath. "I'm fine. Just trying to get by day by day," I admit. As one of the biggest days of my life inches, I've focused on trying to stay positive and calm. The stress is still there but letting it overtake me wouldn't be good. Things could be worse, I tell myself. Way worse.

"That's my girl. Don't let it get to you. You're gonna do great, Nola. I feel it in my bones," JT assures me. "Thanks, Jay. Wish you could be there," I tell him. He sighs. "Me too. But you'll have more support there than you know. I'll be waiting for you here, Miss Olympian."

My lips upturned at his words. He's right. My parents and siblings will be in Stockholm with me that week. They're my biggest support system and more than enough. "How are your brothers by the way?" Jay asks, shoving cashews into his mouth. "Haven't seen them in a while."

"They're good. My parents are taking them to look at apartments this week and I'm joining in on that fun before I go," I announce, wagging my brows. He laughs. "You think it'll be simple?" I let out a fake laugh. "No. Not with Kayce and Brooks. But we'll see."

With my dad finding them places in advance, maybe it'll be simpler, but Kayce is picky. Brooks? Probably not so much but he'll agree with anything Kayc says. We'll see. I'll be there to help simmer things down.

"I still can't believe your parents agreed to let Brooks move out with him," he says. It shocked me at first too but they'd do anything to see any of us happy. Even something like this. I think it made it easier for them knowing they're in the same city. "Mom will be able to check up on them every day that's why. She won't leave them alone. It'll be like they're still home," I laugh.

Kayce smiles a bit but it fades kind of quickly. "Well, hopefully, they won't take advantage of that. I'd kill to have my mom burst into my room again," he admits, chuckling sadly. My brows furrow slightly. He looks down at his lap and his blonde hair messily falls over his forehead. I scoot over to him, pushing his feet off the bed and sitting on the edge. He looks up at me. "You okay?" I ask carefully.

I'd consider JT and I good friends but it's obvious we don't know everything about each other yet. He nods his head quickly, clearing his throat. "Oh yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry about it," he says. "Jay, you're not. Tell me, I'm here to listen," I assure him, reaching for his large hand. I place mine on top of it and give it a squeeze.

His emerald eyes are reddened and I can't help but wonder what I don't know about this boy. "If...don't..." He winces, closing his eyes shut and shaking his head. "Hey, this is a judgment-free zone. And anything else free-zone. You speak. I listen. That's it." I squeeze his hand again for more reassurance. He rolls his tongue in his mouth and nods.

JT takes a breath and a pause before speaking again. "I don't know if Ember has told you," he starts. I shake my head. "She's private. She doesn't tell me much," I tell him. "Well...it's about." He winces again and that's when I really worry about what's going to come out of his mouth.