sixty-eight.

Nola Scott

After a full day at my house, I decided to leave.

The news had broken around the house - by Dad - that Miles was Ryle's son. All my siblings knew about Ryle and who he was to mom. Maybe not in the way I know but they knew about him. Mom was really upset for the rest of the day. Dad ordered takeout for all of us but everyone ate in their respective rooms.

Kayce and Brooks tried to cheer me up because I felt horrible that Mom was feeling down. It didn't help at all. The next morning, I decided to leave. Maybe Mom would come out of her room if I was gone. Back in Los Angeles, I told Em about everything. She was in complete shock but felt bad for Miles too. He was in my thoughts these past couple of days.

We hadn't seen each other once since Oak Hill and it was breaking my heart. He was busy most days so I tried to distract myself too by going to skate with Em at our old gym. It would distract me for the time being but once I was back home, my mind was all over the place.

Dad was way too hard on Miles about this whole thing.

It broke my heart to hear Dad correct Miles when he called him by his first name. Dad liked Miles. I know he did. If he didn't, he would never give him permission to call him and my mom by their first names. Once the Ryle bomb was dropped, he rebuked it so quickly.

Then to come in and compare our relationship to Ryle and mom's? That wasn't fair at all. But I won't lie, I regret some of the things I said too. I can tell that I hurt Dad's feelings when I said that me and Miles are together because Mom and Ryle couldn't end up together. It was in the heat of the moment because he was coming for Miles.

My relationship with Miles has nothing to do with Mom's past relationship. Do I think it's strangely tied together, yes, in a way. That's just because of our parent's past though. In no world do I think my mom wasn't supposed to end up with my dad. He's her soulmate. I was lucky enough to have them be my parents and learn their love growing up. When I look for someone who I'd want to be my life partner, I always compare them to my dad.

Not only is he an amazing father but he's an amazing husband. He and Mom have gone through so much together and their love always rises above anything else. He lifts her up when she's down. He doesn't give up on her when she starts giving up on herself. He treats her like the only woman in the world. There isn't a day that goes by where he doesn't remind her how beautiful she is.

So yeah, my parents are destined for each other. It wasn't fair what I said to Dad at all.

My dad has always been the most important man in my life. Never did I ever think I'd defend another man over my dad. Until yesterday obviously. Even though I happened to be in the wrong by saying the things I said.

It struck me in the chest then. Miles was special to me. Seeing him upset shattered my heart into a million pieces. I started crying so much when he was about to leave because it felt like once he walked through those doors, I'd never see him again. A life without Miles is unimaginable to me at this point. Losing him forever would crush me.

It's been four days since then and we've barely spoken. I'm giving him some space while taking my own. Not being around him is hard but if this is what he needs, then I'll give it to him. He'll talk to me whenever he's ready.

I hope.

***

Miles Dempsey

The best thing for me to do these past couple of days was keep myself busy. Not only was my schedule jam-packed, but I also took the time to visit the gym in my free time. I take a little bit of time off after the season ends but working out tends to relieve a lot of my stress. There were days when I'd go see my parents too. Hang out with friends some days. It was all a distraction to get my mind off one situation.