fifty-seven.

Nola Scott

It was exactly 5:44 am when we had finally made it to Oak Hill. My brothers and I parked my dad's car back in the garage where it belonged and slowly began our trek inside. Usually, my dad had his alarm set for 6 am meaning we had about sixteen minutes to sneak into bed. I'd tell my parents I arrived late last night when they were fast asleep.

The door was quite loud since we had an alarm system but Kayce said he turned it off before he left. Both of my parents were heavy sleepers these days so perhaps they didn't hear the robot say 'front door open'. "Let's go," I whispered, leading my brothers in the direction of the stairs. Just when my voice cut off the lights switched on.

"Hey, you guys didn't happen to see my coat jacket in the backseat of my car, right?" Dad asks, glaring at my brothers. Kayce was about to open his mouth to speak but I cut him off. "Dad, if you're looking for someone to blame, blame me," I sigh. "I was about to ask what you were doing here," he says.

I was going to take the blame anyway but I wasn't expecting my dad to be waiting for us when we got home. "After, Miles' win last night, I invited them over to spend some time with us, Ember, and JT. It got a little late, I'm sorry," I lie. It was the only thing I could come up with in a short amount of time that sounded somewhat believable.

Dad eyes the three of us, his eyes staying on Brooks a little longer than I'd like. He's trying his best not to look drunk right now but I don't know if it's working. "Fun night, Dad. Think I might have stolen a wife offa one of those boys." He winks. Finally, Dad rolls his eyes. "Did you have to steal my car? You could have just told me."

Kayce shrugs his shoulders. "You were asleep and I knew you had to wake up early this morning. We were going to be back before you woke up." Dad looks at Kayc then. "Did you have fun?" he asks, ignoring my brother's past statements. "Yes," Kayce replies coolly. For a second, I think he's going to lecture us but he sighs and holds his hand out. "Give me my keys and go up to bed."

My brother tosses the keys to my dad and neither of us hesitate to start our way up to our rooms. "Nola," my dad catches my attention. "Let me talk to you for a minute." Oh, God. Brooks and Kayce both look back at us and I fake smile to assure them I'll be fine. "Night, guys." They retreat up the stairs and my dad waits for them to be in their rooms.

He's on us. He definitely is.

"Why did you come back with them?" Dad asks. Not the first question I was expecting. "I just wanted to make sure they got home fine and I haven't seen you guys in a little bit so I thought I'd stop by too," I say, not lying at all now. I'll make it a point to tell Mom and Dad I'm thinking about starting to skate again. Dad smiles and grabs me by the arm. He wraps his big arms around my shoulders in a hug.

I'm surprised by the sentiment but I don't hesitate to hug him back. "What's this for?" I ask my voice muffled in his chest. "A thanks for involving your brothers in something fun. Kayce's been stressed with school and baseball. Brooks has really been trying at school. We can tell by his grades. They deserved a night of fun I guess. As long as there was no alcohol." He pulls back and raises a brow at me.

There definitely was.
Not for me or Kayce only for the 15-year-old.
My dad would love to hear that.

"No alcohol. The team doesn't drink much during the season. It was just a small celebration," I tell him. He nods once and then eyes me. "Miles, hm?" I roll my eyes and pull back from my dad's hug. "Dad, be nice, please. He's good to me." Dad makes a face and I realize that sounded all wrong. "In what way? As a friend or a boyfriend?" I stare into my dad's light blue eyes. I can see how much he cares about me and how worried he is but he doesn't have to be.

It's hard to lie to my dad's face for my sake. If it protects my brothers, I'll do it a thousand times over but my dad is my best friend. It's not nice lying to your best friend. Whatever Miles and I are though... it's new.

God, I hadn't even had time to think about it because of the craziness the rest of the night had brought. He admitted he had feelings for me last night and it was perfect. I won't lie I'm kind of embarrassed that I literally cried but I couldn't hold myself back. His words meant a lot to me because I've felt the same way for months.

I've never felt this way about a person in my life. When I'm with Miles I feel safe. That's as best as I can describe it. It's like it's only us existing and nothing and no one else matters. It's not a feeling I've ever really felt. My heart pounds in my chest even thinking about him. He's the best thing that's happened to me in a long time.

It feels as if we were just merely two empty souls waiting to meet their match and finally, we've come together. The craziest part about this whole thing is that I genuinely feel like he's the one for me. After my mom and his dad's past, it surely seems like it.

They couldn't be together so we are.
Miles and I.

Allie's words also come to mind. Earlier tonight she told me he only wanted me for one thing and wasn't interested in anything more. Her words hurt me but I didn't think much of it because Miles and I weren't together. We were still just friends.

But now I know that she couldn't have been more wrong. He does like me. He does want more with me. I feel it. I know it from his words. He's my guy. I've always known that.

I fight the urge to smile as my dad stands in front of me, waiting for an answer. As much as I don't want to lie to him, my relationship with Miles is new. Yes, we've established that there are feelings there but are we dating? He didn't ask me to be his girlfriend. Do men even do that anymore? I have no idea.

"As a friend," I reply. "Obviously, Dad. We've been over this. Kayce and Brooks really like him too." Brooks liking Miles isn't even a question but Kayce liking Miles is. I thought he liked him until earlier tonight when he rudely asked why Miles was coming with us. Maybe that's just because he thought this was a family thing but I don't know.

It made me feel a bit queasy. He's my little brother and I want him to like the man I'm dating. Even though he doesn't know I'm dating him yet.

Dad makes an unimpressed face. He couldn't care less. Ugh.

"Get some sleep, kiddo. Will you be here when I get home?" he asks. I nod. "I'll take off tomorrow morning, Miles has another game in LA. Wanna come?" I try asking. "No thanks, just wish him good luck for me," he says dryly but a smile crosses my lips. A good luck is a start. "Will do!" I'm taking off to my room right after as he hurries off to get ready for work.

Once I change and hop into bed, I decide to text Miles. He might be asleep already but I decided to let him know that I was home.

Nola: home now. everything okay, was able to make up a sly lie.

Not expecting a text back, I set my phone down next to me getting comfortable until I hear my phone ding next to me.

Miles: Glad you're okay. Get some rest, ice princess.

I can't help the smile that appears on my face. Is it possible to feel this happy? I didn't think so. Not until tonight. Miles makes me feel like a little schoolgirl with a crush.

Miles: Miss you, can't lie.

Now, I am giggling like a schoolgirl.

Ember: didn't make it back home? you okay?

Ember's text surprises me until I remember she wakes up at unholy hours to do school work.

Nola: i'm in oak hill, fill you in later. you won't believe it.

I tease her a little laughing when three text bubbles appear immediately.

Ember: bitch i need the tea. immediately.