twenty-six.

Nola Scott

As soon as I slip into the private jet, I'm met with a warm face. A blonde lady who I'm assuming is Dahlia smiles at me. "Hello, you must be Nola, Miles' friend," she says. My cheeks flush when I remember him calling me his girl in the car. Of course, he quickly corrected himself. I'm not stupid, I know it was a slip-up but it still made me nervous. I'm glad everyone's calling me his friend though.

"Yes, that's me and you're Dahlia. Nice to meet you, thank you for having me. I know it was a last-minute thing," I chuckle, feeling oddly comfortable around this woman I just met. "Oh, don't sweat it. The more the merrier. Luckily it's just us gals for now, the kids are sleeping in the bedroom," she informs me. I glance over to my right and see a door. I'm guessing the bedroom is behind there.

Kaitlyn joins us and the passenger entry door comes up to a close. I'd be lying if I said this was my first time in a private jet. My parents and uncle own one. "Nola want a drink? I've convinced Dahlia to drink one," Kaitlyn says, wagging her brows. "Light alcohol for me, please. You know I don't know how to take my liquor," she begs. Kaitlyn laughs and I smile.

"Sure, I'll take one," I reply. While I would say no since I've been trying to stay clear of alcohol, I could use it. A drink has never not helped my nerves still. "Fantastic!" Kaitlyn says, making us our drinks. My phone buzzes in my pocket shortly after so I pull it out.

Miles Dempsey: Kaitlyn being nice?

I smile a little.

Nola: yes. she seems fun.

Miles Dempsey: Good. Tell me if she says anything funny.

I furrow my brows. What does he mean?

Nola: what does that mean?

Miles Dempsey: Just anything. Have fun, I'll see you in a bit.

That's weird. I like the message and set my phone down on my lap. The jet is still on the ground but my leg shakes anxiously. My phone buzzes on my lap again making my leg stop.

Daddyio: You're still coming home tonight, right?

Shit. I forgot I made plans to come home this weekend after talking to my parents. They haven't told Brooks and Kayce they came to a decision. We were going to have a family dinner tonight and discuss it.

Nola: shitty practice, slipped my mind. i'm currently on my way to san jose with a friend to clear my head. ill be back sunday, reschedule for next weekend?

Daddyio: San Jose? That's almost six hours away, Nola. What's going on? And yes, next weekend you should be here. It's your birthday.

Oh my God. How could I forget my birthday is next weekend? My mind had been all over the place for weeks I forgot my 19th birthday was coming up. I don't even have plans but I'm guessing my parents do.

Nola: i'm fine, dad. yes, i'll see you on my birthday weekend. go ahead and tell kayc and brooks without me, i'm sure they'll be excited.

Daddyio: Call me.

"We're about to take off so can everyone turn their phones on airplane mode? We'll let you know when the wifi is available to use once we're up in the air." A man, I'm assuming the person flying us today, says. Crap. I switch my phone to airplane mode not replying to my dad. I'll talk to him soon.

Kaitlyn walks over to where Dahlia and I sit, handing us glasses. "Here ya go! Let me get mine and then we can chitchat," she says, rushing back to get her drink before plopping down. "So, Nola, is this your first Kings game?" Dahlia asks both ladies' attention on me. "Oh, no. This will be my third," I reply.