thirty-six.

Nola Scott

"We're going out."

Those were the words Ember had spoken to me the second JT exited our apartment. I was upset because of the events from earlier and her and Jay had been my outlet for those two hours. My little argument with Miles had not been good for me. It was all that I was thinking about and I was about to go off my rocker if I hadn't been distracted. Drinking alcohol wasn't in my plans for the next couple of weeks but I was in dire need to forget the day ever happened.

Em and I showed up at the bar around 10:30. Since it was a Saturday night, the place was full of college students. We ended up running into familiar faces and everyone asked me where I'd been. They also said they thought I died. I kind of fell off the face of the earth these past two months so I didn't blame them. We ran into my lovely friend Eli Webber. Thank God for Ember that Joey Van Natta wasn't present.

We stuck around the frat because of free drinks. After my fourth shot, I stopped counting. It had been a long time since I had gotten shitfaced and lord did I miss it. Once my thoughts began to get foggy and I started letting loose is when I had my most fun.

Some blonde guy in a cap tries flirting with me but I ignore him, looking around for Em. Eli had decided she would be the perfect pool partner and stole her away.

I missed her. I also needed to pee.

"Excuse me," I slurred, walking away from the poor guy without another word. My eyes caught the familiar tiny brunette by the bar with a bunch of frat guys. She was smiling big as they all talked in a big group. "Em!" I shouted out to her as I walked in that direction. Her brown eyes found me quickly and she waved me over. When I made it there, I ignored every man in sight. "Come to the bathroom with me, please."

She said bye to all the guys she was with and then practically dragged me to the restroom. There was a line so we got behind the girl in front of us. "This is so much fun!" she exclaims. Em gets to do this whenever she wants. I, on the other hand have been trying not to participate in these activities for the sake of wanting to focus on one thing. Worlds. "It is," I admit, a small part of me missing it. Going out with the team on the weekend was always fun.

My phone buzzes in my purse for the millionth time tonight. I haven't checked it for my own good but my curious brain makes me dig it out of my purse. When it lights up, I notice I only have three notifications. One text from my little sister, another from mom, and an Instagram notification. Am I going crazy? I swore that thing had been vibrating all night.

My purse vibrates against me again but I'm holding my phone in my hand. "What the heck?" I whisper, digging into my purse again. My eyes widen when I pull out another phone. Only it's not mine, it's... "Miles," I whisper. "Where?" Ember says, looking over at me. My eyes stay latched on his phone in my hand. "Here!" I shook the phone in front of her face.

Em gasps. "Why do you have his phone?!"

"I don't know!"

My roommate stays quiet for a while and glances at the line to the bathroom. "Let's go!" She's already pulling me out of the bar before I can fight her. "Where are we going?" I question as we slip out the doors. My feet hurt. "The diner!" Ember tells me, walking quickly to the diner down the street from the bar. How is she walking that fast?! My head is basically spinning.

When we make it inside the diner, it's quiet and God it smells delicious in here. "I want pie," I whine when Em pulls me into the bathroom. "Ow," I groan as we stumble inside. My feet are really killing me now. "Pull it out," she says suddenly. "Huh?" I say confused. "Miles' phone, pull it out!" Her tone is pure mischief. "Why?" I ask nervously.