sixty-four.

Miles Dempsey

We lost game three. The first game that happened to be in Florida. Luckily, Bethany wasn't here tonight. She was coming to the game the day after tomorrow. When I asked her to come out to a game, she was more than willing to. I'm also glad she wasn't here tonight because Nola's family flew out to see me play as well as my parents. They actually flew in together on the Scott's family friend's private jet.

Mom and Dad loved the Scott's. I knew they would. Mr. and Mrs. Scott are great.

Since it was a late game, Mom and Dad went back to the hotel they were staying at. Nola and Ember were staying with Nola's mom and dad. When the game was over, I was looking forward to going back to the hotel and moping about our loss. That is until Nola's dad asked me if I wanted to get a quick meal with him. Everyone else had eaten except him. Because I'm still trying to get the man on my side, I said yes.

We sit at this fancy steakhouse Mr. Scott recommended. His company has a building here in Miami, we passed it on the way here. He's been down here for work enough to know all the spots. It's not too packed and I don't wear a disguise since I'm with Nola's dad. We look through the menu and everything on it sounds good. It is quite expensive though.

"Pick out whatever you want, kid. My treat," Mr. Scott says, not looking up from his menu. "You don't have to-" He cuts me off. "You've got me next time. Pick," he deadpans. I don't argue with him since I'm not in the best mood and decide what to order. After we order, he starts talking a little more. "How are you feeling?" he questions. Mr. Scott ordered some chardonnay. I passed on some because I don't feel like drinking tonight.

"Like crap. I didn't play good defense tonight at all," I admit. I was all over the place and my teammates weren't really helping out. There was bad communication all over the place. "Nah, don't worry about it. The Panthers aren't even good compared to your team. You have this in the bag. JT played well tonight," Mr. Scott defends. JT did play a great game. He made both of our goals. "You think so, about us winning?" I ask.

He scoffs. "Please kid, you really have that low of confidence in your team?" No. I just don't know what could happen. There are plenty of times I thought we would win a game and lost. "I just don't want to get my hopes up is all but I'm staying as confident as I can." He takes a sip of his chardonnay and stares at me over the rim. Mr. Scott's kind of intimidating. Some people just have angry-looking faces and he's one of those people. The fact that he's my girlfriend's dad also might intimidate me.

"Congratulations on winning the Stanley Cup finals. Don't forget me when you're famous," he jokes. "I already am," I retort, sipping on my water. "I thought you had to be likable to be famous?" he says, brows furrowed like he's genuinely confused. "You like me," I shoot back.

That gets a laugh out of him. "Whatever helps you sleep at night." We're both smiling now. There's a small silence before he speaks again. "Nola's proud of you, you know that? I've never seen her this...excited. Contrary all her other boyfriends have been.." he makes a disgusted face, "Trash." He shakes his head like he's thinking about them now. "Her happiness is my happiness. I'm making an effort to get to know you because I know it'll make her happy."

The talk about her ex-boyfriends doesn't bother me because I know I'm better than any other man Nola's been with. That's not me being cocky that's just me knowing it's a fact. If her dad says they're trash, then they are. Pops always knows best.

"I've told you how much I care about your daughter. She really means a lot to me. I'm going to do anything and everything to keep her smiling cause seeing her happy keeps me going. She's become my reason, you know? For pushing me to be the best version of myself," I acknowledge. Mr. Scott stares at me long and hard. "Can I ask you a question?"

I nod. "Do you love her?" The question sends me back. Emotion floods all over my body. I didn't know what question I was expecting but it certainly wasn't that one. God, I don't even know how to answer him. Is this a trick question? What does he want me to say? I'm not going to lie to the man's face.

"Nola's amazing. I feel strongly for your daughter, Mr.Scott," that's my answer. I didn't say yes but I didn't say no. His question completely scrambled my brain. The way I feel about Nola is unreal. Unlike anything I've ever felt before.

Love is just...
I've never felt it for a girl in my life.

To know if I've reached that place with her is hard. I don't know what love is. I really don't.

Then I realize the man in front of me does. My dad does too but I've never asked him that question. Then again, I've never questioned if I was in love until now. "How did you know, sir? That you were in love with your wife."

My question makes his lips upturn slightly. "Brynn and I were friends for a couple of months before we dated but I knew I was in trouble when I fell for her quickly. Never in my life had I genuinely liked a girl especially that fast. My wife's an amazing woman, Miles. One in a million. I fell in love with her long before I said the words. You remember that feeling you told me you get with Nola? The one I said I get with my wife too?"

I nod in reply. "That's when you know. When there's no other woman in the world you even want to look at because the girl in front of you is all you need. When seeing her makes your day go from shitty to just fine in two seconds. When you truly feel like there's no one else you'd rather spend your last day on earth with than her," he tells me.

"Brynn and I made special kids. They're all different but they're all perfect. To us at least. My daughter is special, Miles. People will say she's most like me but that's not the truth. She's just like Brynn so I understand why my daughter pulled you in. Just take care of her heart. If you love her heart yet or not, just do that. I appreciate you not lying to me as well," he finishes.

I take in all his words. That damn sure sounds like love to me. I saw it in his eyes while he was talking. You'd think Mrs. Scott was in the room and he was looking at her. His words make me feel multiple emotions at once. If only he could see inside my head. His daughter is the only person in there. There's no space for anyone else. Just her.

The mere thought makes me miss her. Her soft, fair skin. Those dark blue eyes. Her pretty blonde hair. And of course, her pearly white smile. Ugh, I'm fucking obsessed with that woman. I physically need her. It sucks being distanced from her. Even being in the same city isn't enough.

"I promised you I would take care of her. If I don't and I'm not saying I won't but, if I don't, kill me please," I tell him. No jokes. One hundred percent serious. He scoffs out a laugh. "Don't worry, kid. I'll have your head in my hands." We both laugh at that even though I don't doubt he will. He cares about his daughter a lot. "Thanks, Mr. Scott," I say, not knowing exactly what I'm thanking him for.

Clearing my head? Believing in me and my team? Giving me a realization?

"Cgc, kid. Just call me Cgc."

Wow. There we have it. I've been promoted to first name base. My lips rose and we cheered our glasses. Just when I thought this night had gone completely left.