ten.

Nola Scott

I've been home for a couple of days now. Since it's winter break, I thought I'd pack a bag and spend at least a week back in Oak Hill. While it's not ideal, my parents have been asking me to come back home. I improvised and told them a week was good enough and luckily, they agreed.

Two days in and my brothers are already making me regret saying a week. Kayce and Brooks sit on the edge of my bed, staring deeply into my soul with their blue eyes for one reason and one reason only.

A couple of months before starting his senior year, my brother Kayce, finally decided what path he wanted to go on after high school. He had the choice of being drafted by the MLB or going to college before entering the MLB. It was a hard decision for my brother, one that he took almost over a year to think about.

Everyone always knew my brother was destined for a professional career in the sport he loved the most. Baseball. Scouts have been looking at him since his freshman year and they haven't gotten less annoying over the years. Kayce didn't know if he wanted to enter that life so quickly hence why college after high school was an option for him.

After careful consideration, he decided to skip the MLB for now and go to school where he can play college ball. My mom and dad were all for it, as long as he was doing what he wanted to do. Plus, they wanted him to get that college education and if he went the MLB path, he probably wouldn't have.

Surprisingly, he chose to stay home in Oak Hill. Many D1 schools offered my brother great things, but he wanted to stay here at my parent's alma mater. It shocked us, especially my parents, but none of us questioned it. We secretly feared that if he were to leave, we'd never hear from him again. I thought with Kayce staying home for another couple of years, it would help get mom and dad off my back a bit.

But today, my dreams were crushed. Knowing Kayce, I should have seen something like this coming.

"Nola, be the best sister we know you are and help us out. Please! You know how cool this will be?" Brooks pleads for the hundredth time. "What makes you think I'm going to help you guys convince mom and dad? You guys see how they are with me!" I retort, looking at them like they're crazy.

Like always, my mastermind of a brother came up with an idea. Even though he's staying in Oak Hill, he doesn't plan on living with my parents a second longer than he needs to. He wants to move out.

And he wants to take Brooks with him.

"From one moved-out kid to two others. All you have to do is convince them that moving out was good for you and all the other positive parts of not living with them in college," Kayce says. I furrow my brows. "I moved out because I go to college in Los Angeles, Kayce. You're going to college here! Stay home, save money, bro." I roll my eyes in annoyance.

"First of all, don't call me bro. Second of all, I'll make all the money mom and dad spend on rent in a year once I get in the league. Not like they need my money anyway. Come on, Nola. I can't stay here another four years," Kayce pleads, but not really. His face doesn't scream 'please help me, sister'. Sadly, I understand where he's coming from. I felt the same way my senior year which is why I picked a school in LA.

"Kayc, I hear you, but you know mom and dad aren't going to let you take our fifteen-year-old brother with you, right? That's a long shot," I tell him. I don't even know why Brooks is involved in this plan. "Well, yeah, I know that. I'm not an idiot. Brooks doesn't have to be involved in the plan as long as I can move out, we'll be good." Kayce nods once firmly.

Brooks's eyes widen as he turns to my brother, placing his hands on Kayce's arm. "What? No! It's the both of us or nothing, Kayc!" Oh, lord. I shake my head, staring at Kayce. He should have never got Brooks involved in this. The thing about my little brother is once he wants something, he'll stop at nothing until he gets it. And by the way, he's looking at Kayce right now? He wants this.