seventy.

Nola Scott

My baby brothers weren't so little anymore. They were growing up and they were moving out of our childhood home. That would leave Mom and Dad with two kids living at home. I stayed over at Miles' place last night because he was going to drive us to Oak Hill. Ever since we've been dating, I've become less of a driver and more of a passenger.

I don't mind driving but having him do it is so much better. Plus, he's a better driver than I am. Especially driving in Los Angeles. There are so many terrible drivers here. He's better at handling situations whereas I get mad and honk whenever someone does something remotely stupid.

Lucky for me, Miles was invited to join by my parents. Kayce and Brooks have quite a bit of stuff and they wanted to finish moving their things as soon as possible. When we arrived at the apartment, there was already some furniture. A couch, chairs, and a dining table. The boys would be sleeping on air mattresses- or the couch- until their beds arrived in a couple of days.

The men did most of the work while Mom, Kiersten, and I cheered them on from the couch. It was a pretty comfortable couch. I made sure to pay close attention to my mom though. It was evident in her dark eyes that she was upset. Kayce moving out was already going to be hard for her but Brooks moving out too was a hit to her gut.

He was really young. I'm still surprised he's moving out. My dad seemed to move past it more than my mom but maybe that's because he trusts Kayce with Brooks. They're also not far from home so they can bother my brothers whenever they feel like it.

Brooks has the biggest grin on his face as he brings in a box by himself. "Ohhhh I can't wait to set up my PS5 in my room tonight," he hoots, smiling over at my mom. Her lips upturn when she sees him smile but once he walks into his room, her face goes straight again. Kiersten doesn't notice the fluctuation in Mom's mood since she's busy on her phone. Foster also gave up helping after five minutes since most boxes were too heavy for him to carry. He's napping now.

I lay my head on Mom's shoulder. "Trust me, he's going to miss you after a week of living here," I tell Mom, trying to make her feel better. She lets out a breath through her nose. "I don't want him to know I'm upset," she whispers to me. "This is a special day for him."

That's true. Brooks has been counting down the days until he moved in with Kayce. Dad said he was the first one up this morning, loading both cars with boxes.

"Yeah, but don't worry. He'll be begging to come back home at one point," I say, not knowing if this is entirely true. Brooks has always been pretty independent. I feel like we all are. Mom forces a weak smile and nods like she's trying to convince herself that my statement is true.

"There's a difference."
"No there is not."
"Yes, there is, kid. You just don't understand and that's alright."
"Okay. Sure."

I turn my head as my dad and Miles bicker, carrying a large box together. They set it down on the kitchen island. "There's a difference in what?" I question. "Man stuff, don't worry about it, babe," Miles replies. My dad rolls his eyes before patting Miles on the back. They walk back out the door to fetch more boxes.

"It makes me happy to see Miles and your dad getting along," Mom tells me, smiling more fully now. "Same. I thought daddy was gonna chew him up and spit him out at one point," Kiersten giggles. "You like Miles, K?" I ask my little sister. She looks up from her phone, her blue eyes on mine. "Sure thing. He's a cool dude, I guess. He's also famous which is awesome."

I laugh a little bit and shake my head. Well, that's a better answer than no. "Is he ready? To meet Ryle's family in a couple of days?" Mom asks then. I nod even though I don't know the answer to her question. I've kind of been avoiding bringing up the topic with him. "Just some nerves," I tell her. She nods, rubbing my back. "The Graysons are going to love him. He doesn't have to worry," mom assures me.