fifty-nine.

Nola Scott

Telling my dad about Miles wasn't going to be easy.

I knew this since the minute I woke up this morning. Luckily, my sister had gymnastics practice today. Foster was at my aunt and uncle's house. Kayce was also at practice and Brooks was at his friend's house. It was just mom, dad, and me.

My siblings would be easier to tell than my parents which was why I wasn't worried about them. Mom had come into my room earlier assuring me it would be fine and that she was going to make sure my dad was calm.

Somehow, I convinced myself that she was right. I've realized now as I stand here that maybe I should have not believed Mom. Dad stands in front of Mom and I, who walked into this conversation as a team, with his jaw clenched so hard I fear it might break. I turn over slowly to look at Mom and she has a straight face.

We just told Dad that I was in a relationship with Miles. I had whispered the statement so lowly that I didn't know if he had heard me. Clearly, he did. His dark brows furrow and his light blue eyes don't look so light. "Now before we say anything," Mom puts a hand on my back and slightly pushes me forward. "Tell your dad how you feel about the boy, Nola."

I look over at my mom like she's pushing me toward a death sentence.

I've never been scared to express my feelings to my dad. But about a boy? This has to be a first. I feel tiny in my dad's presence and it's not because he's six foot four. He stares down at me like he's waiting for me to say one word before he cuts me off entirely.

A thick lump suddenly appears in my throat and I start to feel emotional. Tears arise, making my eyes glassy. Why does thinking about Miles make me so emotional? His face pops into my head and I see beautiful gray eyes, dark brown hair, a strong jaw, and the most breathtaking smile. The slight rasp in his deep voice. The way he calls me Scott.

My heart skips a beat because damn, he's such an amazing man. I've never felt so safe around a person before. Most times, he's the only person I want to be around. Even at my worst times, I always find myself thinking about Miles. It scared me sometimes how much he would pop up in my brain. With every conversation, he pulled me deeper into his heart, and now I'm so deep, I can't find my way out.

But I don't want to find a way out.
I want to stay here forever.
With him.

Suddenly, tears start flowing out of my eyes and I let out a cry. Instinctively, I fall into my dad's arms and wrap my arms around him. "Nola, what's wrong?" my mom says worriedly as she rubs my back. Dad pulls me in tighter as I cry against his chest.

"Dad, he's amazing to me. I know you're going to question his age and his intentions but please don't. Please. He's so much more than that and I don't even want to hear you question him. I've never felt so loved by anyone in my whole entire life. I know I'm only nineteen but I'm not naive and if I ever had a slight feeling that he was playing with my heart, I wouldn't be with him. Please Dad, just please don't be mad at me," I breathe, through tears.

My eyes are closed and my chest rises and falls quickly. I feel like I'm latching onto every breath. Dad stays quiet as Mom pushes my hair away from my face. "How do I know that his intentions with you are good? He's twenty-four years old, Nola. You're nineteen. What's his business with you? Does he think you're just some younger, weak-minded kid who's gonna be his little doll? Because if that's the case, he can fuck right off."

His words make me feel sick to my stomach and I pull away from him, shaking my head. "Who cares about our age difference? Why does everyone care so much about that? It's irrelevant, Dad. Didn't you hear a single word I said? He genuinely cares about me more than a lot of people do. This might sound absolutely crazy but he's... he just feels right. He feels like home." My voice cracks again.