sixteen.

Miles Dempsey

Christmas went by too quickly. As soon as the holiday was over, the team and I were on a plane to Arizona. We played the Coyotes in a tough match, just scraping by. The winning streak we were on barely survived that night but I wasn't complaining. It was hard to coax the team on these days since games were becoming harder to win. Our opponents these past weeks had been better and we weren't perfect either.

There's been injuries on the starting line and we're feeling the pressure from being the only team on a winning streak. Cap has been trying his best to keep us together but sometimes it can get hard. After the three games we had after Christmas, a few guys from the team decided to go out for the New Year. Luckily, we weren't scheduled to play again until the second.

Following the long week, I was actually looking forward to getting a beer and seeing what else the night could bring. It had been a while since me and the boys did something like this since we've been so focused on winning games.

We started bar hopping at eight but didn't find a good place to stay at until almost 10:30. The bar called 'Bottle Grounds' was packed to the brim with people. It was quite large but lively, something we wanted and needed. So far, it was a good time. My eyes were hazy and I was reeling in the light buzz I had going on. I don't remember the last time I let myself go this far. It certainly was clearing my head from all the shit that went down this week.

"Having a good time, Demps?" Garrett, one of my teammates,  smacked my back lightly as he came up next to me. A lazy smirk made its way to my lips as I nodded. "Yeah," was my short reply before I leaned down and made my next move on the pool table. The kid and I were going head to head only he was kicking my ass. Any other day, it'd be me beating him but my movements weren't all that steady at the moment. Every time I leaned down to hit a ball, I felt the buzz more and more.

Maybe it wasn't a light buzz anymore.

"I got you another beer," Garrett says, placing the beer in my empty hand after I make my move. "Thanks," I reply. Taking a long swig of the beer, I flinch slightly when the kid cheers. "Take that, Miles! I told you I wasn't terrible at Pool!" He has the most boyish grin on his face as he downs a beer. I'll give him the game, I guess. "Congratulations, kid." Cheering him with my bottle from across the table, I take another long swig, setting it down when it's empty again.

Feeling the urge to piss, I slap Garrett on the shoulder as he takes my place. "I'll be right back." The walk to the bathroom on the other side of the bar seems blurry until one certain face makes my vision clear again. "Hey, Scott! What are you doing here?" I ask, walking toward the blonde. She looks around, trying to find my voice. Once she does, her eyes widen slightly, looking me up and down.

I take the opportunity to do the same. She wears a long, pink dress and white heels that make her look one thousand times taller than she actually is. Her hair is down for once, straightened flat. She looks almost unearthly.

Drunk thoughts are not good thoughts.

"Hey Miles," she says, looking around the bar. "Celebrating New Year's just like I assume you're doing." She looks uncomfortable, leaning her weight on a different hip every three seconds. "Uhm, hey." A voice that's not hers fills my ears and I look over to her left. A little brunette stands at her side and I recognize her as Ember. "Oh, hey! Nola's roommate, right? Ember?" I question. She nods, "Hello!"

I turn my head over to where my teammates are, spotting JT from here. "Hey, JT is here if you want to say hi," I point a finger back to where he is at. Ember's smile fades and she glares at me. "No, thanks," she fake smiles and then grabs Nola's arm. "Let's go get drinks," she says. Nola looks at her friend and me for a second. "I'll catch up with you in a second," she tells Ember. Her friend eyes her wearily but nods giving me a look before she goes.