twenty-one.

Nola Scott

I knew it wasn't going to be easy to talk to Ember about JT. First, she would be so confused about why he and I are suddenly friends. Second, she wouldn't understand why he did what he did that night. And third, Ember is Ember. She has the thickest skull of anyone I've ever met. Getting her to believe what you're saying when she has her mind made up is extremely difficult.

So I decided to start with the fact that I'm competing at Worlds. I finally told her and she was beyond excited for me. It was a good distraction from the thing I was going to hit her with. I didn't fail to mention that today was my first practice and I'm already stressing the fuck out. She had to know that fact so that I could mention how JT helped me out today.

Ember may know JT better than I do but from what I've seen, he's a good guy. He seems genuine and I've never gotten non-genuine vibes from him in the times I've talked to him because of Miles. There had to be something I was missing if she hated the guy so much, right?

Before I told her about JT, I made her promise me she wouldn't hate me. That's when she got worried and made me spit it out. Luckily for me, she let me speak about the guy - in a good way - without interrupting and I explained to her the whole situation. When I finished, she didn't say anything. She stood up and kindly asked if I could give her a ride over to Miles' house so that she could speak to him.

The relief and accomplishment that flooded through my body when she said that was impeccable. Little did I know that she was saving her wrath for the blonde hockey player.

It was a good five minutes before I decided to call the other, older hockey player and ask if he could help me stop this mess. I didn't know what to do anymore. Them arguing - again - also felt like my fault this time. Keeping the door perched open in case murder happens inside, I stand anxiously at the front door as I wait for Miles. It takes him about five minutes after I call him for me to see his BMW pulling into the driveway and relief fills me again.

He gets out and I'm about to tell him more about the scene inside, but I stop at the sight of him. All he wears is a grey t-shirt, some black athletic shorts, and a LA Dodgers cap but that somehow has me stuttering to start a sentence. Damn it, isn't he cold in those shorts? Focus, Nola! "Inside!" is all I manage to say, pushing my way back inside his large house that I haven't even admired because I'm trying to stop a potential homicide.

The door closing behind us doesn't get anyone's attention. "Watch this," Miles whispers loud enough for me to hear, taking a stand next to me. He crosses his arms over his chest. "Kid!" Just like that, the noise stops and both Ember and JT look over at us. JT's green eyes are still a bit soft, but they widen slightly. "What's going on here?" Miles asks when no one says anything.

"Just having a conversation," JT stammers. Miles raises a brow at his response. "A very loud conversation," his gray eyes flit to my roommate, "hey Ember." Her cheeks flush and she plays with her hands. "Hi," she replies softly. "Now do we want to talk about this like adults or continue acting like children?" Miles says, looking at both of them for a reply. Our roommates look at each other like they don't know what to say. "I don't want to hear him talk," Ember says.

Miles tries to stay stoic but I see him almost laugh, causing me to bite down on my lower lip. "Well, Ember we have to hear him talk eventually so you can both get your stories across. Maybe we'll come to a conclusion if we can have a decent conversation not...whatever you two were having," Miles adds. Ember rolls her eyes but surprises all of us by taking a seat on one of the many couches.

JT follows, sitting down on another. Once they're both sat, Miles gestures his head for me to follow him so I do. We sit by side on the longer couch, his leg touching my knee. My breath hitches slightly at the touch but he opens his mouth to speak. "Now, Ember can you explain why you're so upset with JT?" he starts by asking. Instead of looking at JT, Ember keeps her eyes on the man next to me.