[ twenty seven ]

⊹ Chapter 27 ⊹
Play It Forward

⊹ Chapter 27 ⊹Play It Forward

⊹• ━━━━༺•❁•༻━━━━ •⊹

"Yeah, it's wood rot." Conrad huffed as he examined the wood. "See how brittle it is on the inside?"

The Fisher boy was currently busy helping Cleveland work on his boat while the girls were preparing for the volleyball tournament.

Cleveland could do nothing but watch as Conrad began to tear apart the wood.

"God, this is bad, man. We have to pry off bits until we reach clean wood." The boy continued until he accidentally cut himself on a nail. "Fսck! Ow!"

"You're a little on edge, my friend." Cleveland observed handing the teen a rag for his bleeding finger.

"It's been a bad week."

"Is your dad back in town?" The man questioned taking a seat.

"No, other stuff." Conrad brushed him off.

"How are things looking with your girlfriend?"

"Not good." Conrad grunted going back to ripping the wood apart. "And this isn't looking good either, man. I mean, it just keeps going and going. The whole goddamn thing is infected, and I didn't notice. It's everywhere, and I didn't notice!" The boy ranted beginning to hyperventilate.

"Conrad, whoa!" Cleveland exclaimed trying to grab the boy's shoulders to calm him. "Whoa. What is going on, man?"

"My heart's beating really fast, and, um..." He gasped not being able to speak. "It's really hard to breathe."

"Hey. No, it's normal." Cleveland assured him. "You're having a panic attack. It's okay. Okay, you look at me." The man snapped pulling Conrad's attention to him. "Deep breaths. Okay? In.Out. In. Out. Let it out, man."

After a couple minutes of Conrad repeating Cleveland's instructions he finally managed to calm down.

"Conrad, what's going on?"

"It's my mom. She..." The boy trailed off not knowing if he was ready to admit it to anyone yet.

"Everything okay?"

Conrad shook his head as tears filled his eyes once again. He needed to tell someone and get if off of his chest. Plus he trusted Cleveland.

Cleveland looked at the boy sympathetically. He could tell from the first time he met Conrad that he was struggling. He just had no idea how bad it was.

"There's a breathing technique for anxiety attacks. Four seconds inhale through your nose, seven to hold, eight to exhale."

"How do you know all this stuff?" Conrad wondered looking at the man next to him.