[ thirty six ]

⊹ Chapter 36 ⊹
The C Word

⊹ Chapter 36 ⊹The C Word

⊹• ━━━━༺•❁•༻━━━━ •⊹

It's safe to say that after Jeremiah's confession everyone was very tense.

Violet was immediately looking at Conrad for an answer but there was no time for any explanation. Laurel was quickly rushing an upset Susannah out of the club with the teenagers following behind.

"Mom what's going on?" Belly asked rushing after her mother.

"We'll all talk about this at home." Laurel stated guiding Susannah into her car before turning back to the kids. "Steven and Belly will come with me. Conrad will you be okay to drive the Jeep?"

"Yeah sure." The Fisher boy nodded staring at the slumped over figure of his mother in the front seat.

"But what about the deb ball? We can't just leave!" Belly exclaimed hoping that Violet would back her up. "Why can't you just tell us what's going on now?"

"Because this is not the place to have a serious conversation!"

"Mom-"

"Just get in the damn car Belly!" Jeremiah huffed annoyed with her whining. He just wanted to get home so his mom could explain what was going on and why no one bothered to tell him.

With a defeated sigh the Conklin girl got into the car with her brother following behind her.

Violet had no idea what to say to Conrad or Jeremiah. Both boys were stiff and emotionless throughout the whole drive home.

♒︎

When the group finally returned home everyone split into different groups. The Conklin's retreated to Belly's bedroom to talk things over. While Susannah sat with Jeremiah in the living room.

Susannah finally realized why Conrad had been acting so weird for months. It was because he knew all along and couldn't talk to anyone about it. She knew Conrad would want to talk Violet before anyone else.

Violet was in Conrad's room getting changed when her boyfriend came in. The Montgomery girl really didn't know how to approach him. She didn't know how he was feeling about anything . Violet decided that the best thing to do was let Conrad talk on his own terms. She didn't want to force him.

"Can we talk?" The boy muttered nervously not looking her in the eyes.

"Yeah..." She nodded moving to sit on his bed. Conrad followed her actions sitting beside her but still avoiding eye contact.

"It's her cancer." Conrad finally spoke up after a few moments. "It's back."

Violet's breathing stopped as she heard him mutter that one word that no one ever wants to hear. She knew of Susannah's past with breast cancer but she thought she beat it. Violet would have never guessed Susannah was sick again. The way that the woman acts you would have never known something was wrong.

"I feel so stupid." Violet exhaled shaking her head. "I should have realized something was wrong with her."

"You couldn't have known." Conrad assured her.

"Is that why you've been off all summer?" The red head questioned looking directly into Conrad's eyes.

"I just felt like nothing else mattered. I couldn't think of anything but her being sick." Conrad cried putting his head into his hands and hiding his face.

"Con..." Violet sighed wrapping her arms around him, letting her own tears fall. "I'm so sorry you didn't feel like you could talk to me."

"I wanted to so bad but fuck Vi...." The Fisher boy said reaching up to wipe away Violet's tears. "I couldn't put you through that. I didn't want to put that burden on you."

"But you shouldn't have had to carry that on your own."

"I'd rather me be upset than you." Conrad replied honestly.

"I get that Con but we're in a relationship. We're supposed to be a team. We are meant to support each other."

"I know..." He sighed. "I could never work up the nerve to tell you. I just wanted you to be happy this summer."

"Well now I know and I'm going to be here with you throughout the whole thing. Through the good and the bad." Violet declared intertwining their fingers.

♒︎

"I'm so sorry the night turned out like this." Susannah apologized as she sat next to her two boys. Violet was on the other side of Conrad. She didn't want to impose on the family conversation but Susannah insisted that she join them. "It's not how I wanted you to find out."

"Mom, you're gonna do the trial, right?" Jeremiah questioned hopefully.

The Montgomery could tell both from the frown on Susannah's face and the tight hold Conrad had on her hand that Susannah wasn't going to do it.

"Uh... No, honey. I'm not." The blonde sighed holding back her tears. "Chances are very slight. Uh, nonexistent, really, and... I just can't go through that again. It was too hard the first time."

"Mom, but you could try." Jeremiah insisted. "You have to try."

"I just want to be me when I go. Does that make sense?"

Violet nodded sending the woman she thought of as a second mother a teary smile while Jeremiah rapidly shook his head. Violet wasn't surprised that Jeremiah was taking the news worse than Conrad. The younger brother was always more emotional.

"No!" He exclaimed. "No, it doesn't make sense. None of this makes any sense."

"I know, I know." Susannah sniffed pulling Jeremiah into her chest. "I'm not good at this. Okay? Mommy's not good at this." She shook her head crying looking over at Conrad who had tears silently streaming down his face. "I should've known that you knew. I just didn't want to believe it."

"Mom, if there's any chance, you have to." The curly haired boy stated seriously. "I mean, you have to. Come on, tell her, Conrad. Why aren't you saying anything?" He shouted looking at his brother. "Mom, this is crazy. You have to try. You can't give up on us."

"Mom?" Conrad finally spoke up grabbing everyones attention. "Can't you just... I mean, can't you just try?"

"For us, Mom?" Jeremiah asked once again.

"I need you." Conrad finally broke down.

"Come here." Susannah said pulling both of her boys and Violet into a group hug. She didn't want to do the trial but she also couldn't say not to her boys, not when they were begging her.