Part 11

Part 11: -

Dale’s POV

Hearing that my sister had cancer scared me. I knew I was going to lose her. Everyone always seemed to lose in the end because as always it always more or less came back. Yes, there are some people that can really fight it and get through it but my sister; she’s left it too long. The doctor’s already only gave her 6 months to live and considering she left her treatment – well second round of treatment – this long, she’s never going to make it. I know I’m not being optimistic but who would? I know you’ve got to keep an open mind with these kind of things but I just can’t.  Hearing Ella’s dying makes everything seem much more horrible, I’ll never be able to contemplate my parents’ off-putting or their snide remarks. Hearing them every day was hard as hell; I couldn’t wait until I was finished school just so I could leave. Well, then I’d have to endure Uni and that shan’t be fun since well, they are paying for it. I know what you’re thinking, ‘how the hell does Dale have to go to Uni but Ella doesn’t’ well, I want to go. Ella, had friends here, her boyfriend and her job, she just couldn’t give it up for something else. I know she’s not working right now but I’m guessing her work boss knows she’s seriously ill. There again, May knows everything about everyone. I included.

   I was sat in Ella’s “secret” hideout; it wasn’t so much of a secret since well mostly everyone knew where this little area was. The only reason I knew as because when Ella was 12 – me 10 – I had to come and find her and her being the idiot she was at times shouted out when I shouted her. Yes, our parents let I, go wandering round the streets at aged 10. Most people were mortified but we didn’t dwell on it since it was a normal routine for El and I.

“Dale, I know you’re here. Look, I know you don’t want to talk to me since I kept this whole secret from you but I need to explain. I’m coming in but please don’t run” Oh great! She knew I was here. I was so going to kick Micky’s balls in, whenever I had the chance to see him next.

“Ella, what do you want? I’m fine. I don’t care that you’re hiding a secret from me. I know you had your reasons but I’m scared all right. You’re dying and there’s nothing that can be done. I’m losing you and it’s never going to be the same again”

“Dale, I have 6 months to go, if the treatment doesn’t work but if it does, I’ll still be here. Embarrassing you, helping you along the way. I know 6 months seems long way away but I’m willing and hoping that this treatment works because I want to be here. I want to patch things up with Micky and I want to move on but with everything that’s happening, right now it’s hard to move on, especially when I put my whole wanting to die thing down to most of the people I love. You aren’t one of those people; I could never put you down for a reason as to why I want to die. I love you and you are one of the people who could definitely cheer me up. Just everything with Micky, leaving on a sour note, finding out he cheated on me while drunk, everything with mum and dad and then just general day-to-day things, it all got too much. It was nothing to do with you. Dale, you’ll always be the apple of my eye, I love you and it’s my duty as the oldest to protect you while I still can”

“El, I’m sorry. I’m scared because I know that one day I could wake up and you’re gone. Hearing that you’ve died will kill me, shred me to pieces and I know this will sound stupid in some way but mum and dad care too. If they didn’t then why would mum be crying her eyes out? Not be eating and hiding everything away. She’s trying to cover up things but I should let you know, they told Alex’s family you were dying. Well, I’m pretty sure of it since I was shoved out the room and they wouldn’t talk until I was safely in my room. Look, if you need moral support, I’m there. I’ll be there every step of the way. I know you probably have William for support right now but I think you could use some family support too”