Chapter 2: A Full Party

The sun shone brightly through the windows, dappling Salem in its soft golden rays. The noble sat up in her bed and rubbed the last of the sleep from her eyes, slipping out from underneath the covers.

She still felt tired; getting a decent rest was difficult. Her sleep was plagued with nightmares every night, each more vivid than the last. She shook her head, standing in front of the mirror to tend to her hair.v

One of the very few things she liked about this world was she had her human body back. She still wasn't entirely used to seeing her hair being blond, or her skin being a healthy color. It was a refreshing relief from the deathly white she was used to.

With a sigh she gave herself one last look over before getting dressed. She drew her rapier from its sheath to inspect the blade for a moment before nodding her head, a small smile growing on her lips.

Smile, Salem. Today is going to be a good day, she told herself. Already beginning to feel optimistic, she stepped out of her room with a little pep in her step, eager to see Yin and Vao again - it would ensure they were still alive. As she stepped into the Guild's main room, she instinctively looked to the table they would always sit at together - only for her head to be clouded with confusion.

The Guild was empty. No one sat at the tables, no one stood behind the counter. It was as if the place had suddenly been abandoned. Cautious, Salem took a step forward.

"... Hello?" She called out. No answer. She bit her lip. Someone was always here, usually being Junior or one of the Malachites. It shouldn't be empty. She moved towards the front door, giving it a tug. It didn't even rattle; it was as if it were a part of the wall.

"W... What...?"

Salem's voice was a low whisper. She tried to pull open the door again, and when that failed she moved towards the window. Outside was a fog unlike anything she had seen. She couldn't even see the ground below the window. She took a step back, unaware of the figure that loomed behind her.

"... Found... You..."

Salem screamed in terror, turning around with her rapier held in her trembling hands. Nothing stood behind her. Salem almost believed she imagined it, until it came again.

"... How long... Has it been...?"

Salem felt her heart stop. She didn't want to recognize that voice. That hiss-like, feminine voice. The voice continued, their hot breath beating against Salem's ear. They were behind her now. Thin, pale fingers gripped her shoulder, squeezing gently.

"How long has it been... Since you ruined my life...?" The voice breathed. There was a slight pause, as if they were listening to something. "... Auntie... I'm sorry..."

Salem finally worked up the nerve to turn around, to face what stood before her. The moment her eyes rested on his form, she could already feel primal terror bubbling inside. She never realized how terrifying he was.

His long black hair that fell to his ankles, nearly sweeping the floor. His thin, yet feminine body and face, his horribly pale skin, and a single eye as scarlet as blood. And his left eye; gone. A deep and empty pit with a floating speck of an ability that no longer existed in Twist - Aura. Salem was staring at her deadliest human creation. It wasn't possible, she thought. That timeline was destroyed. But there was no doubt about it - he was standing right in front of her, his lips twitching up.

Vao Dusty Branwen, the Enemy of Remnant. He clutched his stomach, glaring at her with spite and hatred.

"Finally... I won't let this chance go to waste...! I'll kill you! I'll... I-I'll..." Vao clutched the sides of his head, pulling at his absurdly long hair. His breathing had gone ragged, drool dripping from his lips. And then Salem heard it; the long, dreadful rumble that bellowed from the depths of Vao's body. He was starving. He looked back at her, his lips curling into a full blown smile.