Chapter 24: Chasing Shadows

The moon hung over the lake, the waters reflecting the celestial body as the waves rippled across the surface. And underneath the illusion, deep within the lake's bottom sat the darkened, decrepit castle. Guarded by wild animals, the human residents slept soundly in their rooms. Tim and Chuck cuddled together, their backs pressed for warmth in the cold air. Alice slept in her own room, curled into a ball under her sheets. That was how the Burgundy family slept; peacefully, as always.

In Violet and Midori's room, it was a bit more chaotic. The book the young scarlet-eyed witch had been reading was still clutched loosely in her hands, having fallen asleep in the middle of reading. Violet's leg dangled over the edge of her bed, unafraid of any possible monsters. And just across the hall, in the bedroom of Verde and Vao, the only restless resident laid with his wife, his eyes wide open.

It was a sleepless night again for Vao, as it always was. Part of the reason was his intense paranoia. The other part was his inability to relax. Lifting his head, he gently pulled away from his partner, trying his best not to wake her. But it failed when the bed moved as he stood up, Verde squinting tiredly at his silhouette in the moonlight that fell from the window.

"V... Vao? Where are you going...?"

Vao didn't answer immediately, his heart racing in his chest. He reached under the bed, digging desperately for his marijuana. His breathing was quick; he was hyperventilating, sweat dripping from his skin like rain. He was on the verge of having a panic attack. Verde shot upright, her bare feet tensing when they touched the frigid stone floor. Her arms wrapped around her husband's bare skin, her voice dropping to a soft whisper.

"Breathe," she spoke into his ear. "Vao, breathe..."

The pipe was in his trembling hands, his back heaving with each breath. But Verde could feel him slowly relaxing as she whispered into his ear, the shaking growing less intense until he could light his pipe. He breathed in the dried plant, the smell spilling over the room. He coughed when he breathed out, still trembling. Verde felt relief fill her chest. He was calming down. She didn't need to wonder what would've happened if she hadn't been there. He'd have gotten into his own head and shut down into a sobbing mess.

"Breathe..." Her voice was soft, the only source of calm in... Whatever was going through Vao's head. She closed her eyes, feeling him turn to hold her in his arms. His voice shook, barely above a whisper.

"I-I'm s-sorry for w-waking you..."

Verde shook her head, squeezing him tighter. "Shh. It's okay... Everyone is safe. You're doing enough; more than enough."

Vao gritted his teeth, bringing the pipe to his lips again, taking another hit from his medicine. He breathed it out, his heartbeat slowly returning to its natural rhythm. "... C-can... Can we ch-check together...?"

Verde nodded, helping him stand. "... Of course. Let me just get my slippers."

They were slippers they found when they first moved in. It took many hours of work, but eventually Vao had restored them. She could feel the warmth heating her toes as she slipped her feet inside them, holding Vao's hand gently. "Okay... Let's go, Darling..."

The doors creaked as they moved through the corridor, silently watching over Violet and Midori. Verde's thumb rubbed the back of his hand, the shadows still concealing Vao's appearance.

"See, Dear? The children are safe."

"... W-wot about A-Alice? A-and Tim... Ch-Chuck?"

She guided him down the halls, the moonlight occasionally showing a flash of his bare chest. The doors creaked as they checked the rooms one at a time. It was only when Vao confirmed it with his own eyes that he began to relax completely, his heart rate slowing down. In the dim shadows, Verde could see the glistening trails on his cheeks, his red eyes staring at her. Verde reached up, her hand gently wiping away the tears.