Chapter 57: The Beginning of the End

The rising sun bore down on them as they rode through the fields, the sounds of armored hooves and thousands of men and women marched through the air. Spears, swords, and axes gleamed among the shields, and the ground almost rumbled as Penny and Gug walked behind them. Yin and Vao rode next to each other, the dullahan nervously fidgeting with his bow. Yin wasn't much better; he hadn't taken his hand off his katana.

Squeak, squeak!

Something scampered towards them, clamboring to the top of Roman's head and jumping towards the dullahan. The dwarf shrieked. "V-Vao, keep that thing away from me!"

Vao ignored him, holding the rat in his palm. "Wot's the status, Ricky?"

Squeak, squeak squeak. Squeak.

Vao looked over to Yin, nodding his head. "The slaves are ready - most of them, anyway. There's still some who aren't willing to fight; theyve given up entirely."

"We can work with that," Yin muttered. "We got Sasha and her big ass muscles. They'll comply."

Sasha glared at him. "... You're just mad I'm in better shape."

"Sasha, you're in better shape than most men. You have the physique of a bodybuilder - a male bodybuilder."

"Vao, do you want to make it to the end of the war?"

"... P... P-please don't hurt me..."

Verde rode on her broom above them, waving her hand to catch their attention. "The scout has returned."

The trio looked up to see the blur of blue feathers race through the air, Poppy slowing down next to them. Seeing her was always a bit depressing; with her leg having been cut off, she needed to work harder than the other harpies, unable to even walk without a crutch. But it didn't stop her from working harder than ever.

"The Royal Capital's got their cannons out!" She reported. Salem nodded.

"How many soldiers?"

"A lot! Double us, maybe more," Poppy answered. The adventurers groaned. That didn't look good. At least they evened out the playing field with Penny. The healer sighed, riding ahead with Vao Verde, and Sasha. The Royal Capital was within view now, the golden rooftops standing high. Even from here, he could see the artillery, the massive army that had been set up at the gates; thousands of Knights and soldiers, armed to the teeth. He could feel his heart racing as he turned around.

"This... This is it!" He screamed. "This is the day we've been fighting for! The Royal Capital is right in front of us!"

He was met by the cheers and cries of the nonhumans and humans who had joined his cause, their weapons gleaming as they lifted them into the air. Vao took the stage, holding his head high so his voice could reach further.

"This battle's gonna be 'ard as balls! Some of us are dying today!" He shouted. "But I ain't dying a coward, shittin' my bloody trousers! Wot about the rest o' ya!?"

More cheer. Verde clutched her necklace in her hand. Was her mother watching them? Was she watching as the Church finally stood weakened, without the support of Faralda and Ragna? "... It's time we make the Church pay!" She interrupted Yin and Vao's rambling. She hoisted her staff into the air, pointing it at the Church.

"If you are still uncertain about risking your lives here, I ask you this: how many of you have been hunted by the Church? How many of the orcs and elves here are escaped slaves who watched as their family was raped and murdered, helpless and unable to stop it?"

The nonhumans had fallen silent. But Verde could tell she was getting to them. She was angering them. She pointed to Sasha, nodding her head. The elf cleared her throat, her poor horse trembling as it tried to walk forward under her weight.