Chapter 3: The Necromancer

They stood at the entrance, neither of them seeming to have any desire to go further. The inside of the fortress was dark, damp, and the smell of mold hung in the air. It was too dark to see. Yin frowned, looking down at Ruby. she had squatted over a stick, trying to light one end to use as a torch. But the wood was drenched; there wouldn't be a fire for a long time.

"U-ugh... It smells horrible," Sasha groaned.

"Not as horrible as your stink," Yin snapped. He tapped his staff against the ground. "Guiding Light."

The head of his staff began to give a dim glow, lighting up their faces. Yin sighed audibly. Vao's nose was almost touching his. "... Might I ask why you're so close to me?"

"I wanted to be annoying."

Yin groaned, shaking his head as he stepped around his brother. "Let's go. The necromancer has to be in here, somewhere..."

"I say we stay a bit longer."

"Vao, why on Twist would you want to stay here?" Yin whined. Vao snickered, giving a thumbs up.

"Treasure. There's bound to be loads of it," Vao explained. "Wot about the dungeon? We might find something!"

Yin turned to the others. "All in favor of treasure hunting?"

Raven, Sasha, Verde, Salem, and Ruby raised their hands. Yin groaned, rubbing his temples. He was the only one who didn't want to stay in here longer than necessary. This fortress gave him the creeps.

"... Fine. Fine. Whatever," he groaned. "Let's start searching. But we stay together. Got it?"

Vao was already skipping down the halls, singing a song about theft and the consumption of illegal substances. Yin clenched his fist angrily. "Vao! Get back here!" He hissed. As he gave chase, the others looked at each other before following.

Deeper, into the darkness of the catacombs. Yin's staff lit the way, but did little to light much. It was still too dark to see the end of the hallway. It wasn't until Salem heard a sound that she stopped.

"Wha?" Her voice trailed off, straining her ears to hear the sound again. But there was only silence. Yin looked worried.

"Is everything alright, Princess?"

Salem didn't answer right away. She was still trying to catch it again. But there was only silence. Distantly she stepped forward, her eyes focused on the darkness ahead. "... No... It was nothing..."

Drip. Drip. Drip.

The sound of water dripping from the ceiling and splashing on the floor of the prison filled their ears. Ruby shivered in the cold air, huddling closer to Yin for warmth. Vao peered into one of the cells, running a finger along the oily bars. "Ew..."

"Vao, don't touch that. You'll get sick," Yin hissed. The femboy snickered, moving his stained finger closer to the cleric. "Vao, stop! Ew, ew, ew!"

"Nyahaha-"

BONK!

"Unyu!?"

Vao collapsed to the ground when Yin struck him with his staff, clutching his head painfully. "O-ow..."

Salem stopped in front of one of the cells, staring through the bars. This was where she heard the noise. Inside the grimy cell were three short figures. Yin stepped next to her, wincing in disgust. "Yuck. Goblins."

As one of them inched closer, Salem could make out their green skin and head of scarlet hair. It was a woman. The goblin uttered a quiet grumbling sound, waving its arms through the air. Yin shook his head. "Just ignore them. Savage brutes deserve to be locked away."