Chapter 72: True Hell, Part Two

Salem waved her hand at the fog as they walked through the cloud of white, squinting her eyes as the ashy wastes came back into view, the eclipse still shining over their heads. And the moment her eyes adjusted, her jaw dropped. One by one the others stepped through, staring following her horrified gaze.

Swords, spears, axes, weapons of every kind jutted from the wastes, weapons of dead warriors who had fought the First Vao and lost their lives. And in the center of it all was him.

The First Vao was slumped on his knees, his head hanging from his shoulders as the gaunt, dead hand caressed his cheek. The Blood, taking the form of Summer again, crouched down next to him, holding him gently. Grimm Demise jutted from the ash in front of the First Vao, the blade buried in the ground. The Blood turned its head towards them, its grip on his shoulder tightening. Salem drew her rapier, Mono and Jasper following her example.

"You've got nowhere left to run," Salem growled. But the Blood only stared at her, tilting its head forward as it grinned.

"You don't sound very certain... You're remembering the First Timeline, aren't you?" It cooed with a voice like silk. "In the First Timeline, Yin supposedly saved Vao. But here we are; it's been explained to you, I would assume. That he was still infected even before Jack gave it to him. Despite Yin killing the Blood, it was still in Vao's body, in his Reality..."

Salem pursed her lips, her grip tightening on her weapon. The Blood was spot on. "... I've wondered about that," she replied with a hiss. "From his memories, you're the same Blood from the First Timeline... But you shouldn't be alive. The First Yin killed you."

The Blood chuckled, standing up tall and leaning against the First Vao. "He never did. That had been an abomination I left as a decoy; something to ensure my own survival. I was right there, watching to make sure he never caught on. I played the role of the dead woman, Summer, pretended to help him... And neither of them were any the wiser."

A vein popped from Mono's forehead. "This whole time... From the very beginning, you pretended to be Summer so Vao wouldn't disobey you... You manipulated him to the very end."

"I enjoyed it," the Blood snickered. "Watching him struggle was entertaining... You nearly undid all that work, bitch. I haven't forgiven you for that, and I won't..

Jasper gritted her teeth. "Fuck me... You're awful. How many people have died up until now for your sick little game?" The Blood stroked its chin thoughtfully.

"How many breaths have you taken up until now?"

There was no reasoning with the Blood. It was incapable of feeling guilt. They stood in front of the thing responsible for the continuation of the plan of the Gods. All the destruction that came in the Third Timeline, this monster was the cause. Watching it turn someone into what Salem was had been horrible; it felt no remorse. It only found entertainment.

Where the First Yin had failed, they swore a silent vow that they'd succeed. Salem took a deep breath in. She was nervous; fighting abominations was one thing, but fighting Blood was far more difficult. Exhaling it all, she stared back at the thing that took the form of Summer.

"... We've met terrible people," she said. "Iris, Leaf, Rojo, Jack... They were all monsters in their own ways. But you... You were among the worst of them all. You're pure evil. That's why we're going to destroy you. Mono..."

The maid looked at Salem from the corner of her eye, raising an eyebrow. "... What is it?"

Salem glanced at her for only a moment, her top teeth pressing against her lip. "... When this is over, New Atlas is going to try and kill the First Vao. Having seen everything we have, after meeting him as Ashley... When we kill this thing, take him and run. Even after the Timeline fixes itself and sends New Atlas to the Graveyard, take him and run. Give him... The life that no one else wanted to. The life that no one else can."