Chapter 36: Real Monsters, Part One

Chuck ran at Ozpin and Salem's side, Midori and Violet in front of them. They didn't trust them to be at the back, not when the enemy was aware of their identities. Ozpin shouted out as he ran.

"Salem, do you have any idea where he could be keeping prisoners!?"

The princess shook her head. "No! He'd no doubt keep Summer close because she's important to him, but I can't think of where he could be keeping the others!"

"What about the outskirts, out of the way!?" Midori suggested. It made sense. There were a lot of rundown buildings on the outskirts, but they knew it wouldn't be to hide anything from the Cult. It would most likely be to bring about a sense of isolation, breaking their victims. They turned down a street, sprinting for the outer edge of Grimmore.

They could see a shack on the hill. They wasted no time sprinting to the door, Chuck slamming his shoulder against the frame. It was locked tight. They were unaware of the shape flying towards them in the distance, his red eyes centered on them.

"Dammit! Together!" Ozpin shouted. Salem and Chuck clung to him, the adults raising their feet and kicking the steel obstacle. The hinges creaked and groaned, the door bending just enough for the cold air inside to blow over them. And with that crack, the barrier had been broken. Alice's screams could finally reach the outside. Chuck's face went pale, Violet quickly joining them for one last kick.

BANG!

The door's hinges snapped, finally granting them entry. The sight that awaited them was not one they were ready to see. Alice huddled into the corner, her bloodied and scarred bald held gleaming in the moonlight. And in the center of the room was a corpse, wearing Tim's armor. Chuck took a step back, tears falling from his eyes before he ran to his daughter, picking her up into his arms.

"D-daddy! D-daddy, sh-she'll come back!" Alice shrieked. She was completely out of her mind, panicking to the full extent of the word. Chuck averted his eyes from Tim. He couldn't look at the unrecognizable corpse of his husband. What he needed to do was get Alice to safety.

Midori stood outside, staring at the sky with wide eyes. Salem stepped through the door, looking down at her worriedly. "M-Midori, what's wrong?"

Midori silently pointed her finger at the sky, Salem following the extended digit. Her heart shuddered.

Pip was flying towards them, his lips curled into an ecstatic grin. It was nothing like the smile he wore before. It was filled with lunacy, deranged and cruel. The harpy beat his wings through the air, stopping in front of them and hovering in the air. Chuck and Ozpin stomped out of the exit, Alice still clinging to her father and sobbing into his shoulder. Ozpin looked up at Pip, the knight's face falling. "P... Pip...?"

The harpy burst into laughter, his talons straining as they stretched in the air. "I was too late to stop you!" He shouted in a shrill voice. "But that doesn't matter. Because that wasn't wot Dad told me to do."

"D... Dad? What does Vao have to do with this? He'd never do something like this to Alice and Tim!" Chuck shouted. Pip's smile fell, giving way to a scowl.

"That deadbeat?" He snarled. His anger took them aback. His voice trembled with hatred. "He's not my Dad, you stupid fat cunt. I'm talking about my real Dad! The one who was there for me!"

Salem's head spun. And finally, it clicked. Pip was sneaking out to see him. And now he was paying the price. She looked up at the harpy, her eyes filled with horrified tears. "The... The First Vao..."

Pip giggled giddily. "Uh-huh! He even took me fishing, and gave me the hug I've always dreamed of!" He exclaimed. "He taught me so many wonderful things, like how to play his favorite game called Cheese!"